• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Movers from DX... ANY Regrets?

In my limited ability to compare, I would say that my phone running at the default 1GHz with Voodoo was about the same speed as running at an overclocked 1.2GHz without Voodoo. And with both now, it's even better!
Precisely, both is best. It is pretty hard sometimes to quantify what better/faster really is. I mean some of these synthetic benchmarks what do they really prove? Most of the benchmarks [Quadrant, Linpack, Speed Pi, SetCPU, you name it] test the cpu's max performance. However, we have to realize under normal usage the cpu is rarely at full speed. This is why I continue to assert that the voodoo is the more important/significant of the two. Since voodoo comes into play anytime you access the filesystem.
Bottom Line is most of us can run the low voltage OC kernels; for the few who can't there's either stock voltage OC and I have yet to see someone who could not run one of Dirrk's SV kernels

Upvote 0
I had gotten an upgrade replacement on my Fascinate the other day for a Droid X. I still have them both and have been comparing them before I returned one. The DX was the original phone I wanted and I was sad to not have a few things on the Fascinate BUT I do have issues with the Droid and I am thinking I want my Fascinate back!

- The Droid X has a notification light. I got written up at work for texting because checking my Fascinate to see if I had a message, even though I never did text anyone. Honestly, this is my first smartphone but a notification light is a big seller considering NoLED didn't work on my Fasc. half the time.

- The Droid X has CRAPPY camera and video shots compared to the Fascinate. They won't ever compare to my DSLR but a good camera is a selling point for me because I have my phone on me all the time. I did my own test shots and saw a huge difference. Though, I do prefer the dedicated camera button on the DX - it is really slow at loading up the camera to take a shot.

- The Fasc. call quality was sort of like an echo and the DX was clearer. The DX had more bars then the Fasc. at most times but I never had a drop call.

- I haven't noticed a huge difference in the battery of these two, but I do believe the DX has a better battery but not by much.

- The Fascinate has a better screen and colors IMO. Even though it has a blueish tint and the DX has more white/bright.

- The music player looks better and had never given me an error message like the DX.

- Also, the sound is much clearer playing through the headphone jack in my car. It also sounds better through the speaker.

- I tested the web upload speed on both and they came out about equal. Sometimes the DX would be faster then sometimes the Fasc.

- Viewing HD video on the Fasc. was better IMO. Clearer, better colors and sound.

- I don't care about how the UI looks on either because I use LauncherPro and change everything I can.

- The DX had a lot more lag than the Fasc. but it wasn't horrible. Neither have frozen up on me.

Those were my opinions of the two.

I just WISH the Fasc. had a notification light because I would keep it in a heartbeat. It annoys me that I have to be that picky.

Upvote 0
I had gotten an upgrade replacement on my Fascinate the other day for a Droid X. I still have them both and have been comparing them before I returned one. The DX was the original phone I wanted and I was sad to not have a few things on the Fascinate BUT I do have issues with the Droid and I am thinking I want my Fascinate back!

- The Droid X has a notification light. I got written up at work for texting because checking my Fascinate to see if I had a message, even though I never did text anyone. Honestly, this is my first smartphone but a notification light is a big seller considering NoLED didn't work on my Fasc. half the time.

- The Droid X has CRAPPY camera and video shots compared to the Fascinate. They won't ever compare to my DSLR but a good camera is a selling point for me because I have my phone on me all the time. I did my own test shots and saw a huge difference. Though, I do prefer the dedicated camera button on the DX - it is really slow at loading up the camera to take a shot.

- The Fasc. call quality was sort of like an echo and the DX was clearer. The DX had more bars then the Fasc. at most times but I never had a drop call.

- I haven't noticed a huge difference in the battery of these two, but I do believe the DX has a better battery but not by much.

- The Fascinate has a better screen and colors IMO. Even though it has a blueish tint and the DX has more white/bright.

- The music player looks better and had never given me an error message like the DX.

- Also, the sound is much clearer playing through the headphone jack in my car. It also sounds better through the speaker.

- I tested the web upload speed on both and they came out about equal. Sometimes the DX would be faster then sometimes the Fasc.

- Viewing HD video on the Fasc. was better IMO. Clearer, better colors and sound.

- I don't care about how the UI looks on either because I use LauncherPro and change everything I can.

- The DX had a lot more lag than the Fasc. but it wasn't horrible. Neither have frozen up on me.

Those were my opinions of the two.

I just WISH the Fasc. had a notification light because I would keep it in a heartbeat. It annoys me that I have to be that picky.

Are you looking at the pictures you take with the droid x on your computer? videos and pictures will look better on the fascinate just because of the screen itself.

Upvote 0
Ive only had my fascinate a day (and quite an interesting day at that) but minus the lack of 2.2, I'm prefering it to my recently sold DX and about even with my incredible. I think the X was a great phone but knowing it would not be unlocked bothered me too much after awhile. The fascinate feels great in the hand and its really fast. I'll have to get back to you on battery life once I've had it awhile though.

Upvote 0
Guys with Fascinates get more chicks!
baby_chicks.jpg

Upvote 0
Having owned both...I'll say they are both really GOOD devices!
The Fascinate to me is just awesome, one of (if not the best) Android device I've ever used. The screen blew me away, some say it's too cartoonish, or to vibrante with the colors, I say no way! The screen is beautiful IMO. Call quality on it was fantastic, the phone was zippy, and Battery life got really good after about a week or so with some charges...

However...Within 2 weeks some problems started poping up!
Signal strength was an absolute crap shoot, even in very good areas, the GPS was the same as well...some times it worked perfect, some times it would take up to 10 minutes to lock...Not all the time, but it happen to me about 6 times in the last couple of days of owning the device! Also email was just terrible, I would never ever get them, even with the every 15 min setting on. Honestly, I still wanted to keep it, but loosing a signal, and not being able to make a phone call is an absolute deal breaker for me.

So I returned my (FREE) Fascinate..lol.. And went with the Droid X!
The X is awesome, however it also comes with some baggage, signal strength is fastastic, I always have service! However, the Fascinate IMO had better call quality when it had a signal. And the X has restarted on me a couple of times. The phones are pretty equal with how fast they are, even with 2.2 on the X, I think the Fascinate is just as quick. The Camera's are fairly matched, and really comes down to which screen you like better..The Vibrante colors of the Fascinate or the more true colors of the Droid X...

I can go on all day about what that one does, and how this one does that...But it all comes down to one thing for me..Being able to make a call, and having good service!

When the Fascinate gets an update and signal strength is fixed, I'd prob get it again. But for now I'll go with the sure thing when it comes to signal strength and being able to make a call!

Upvote 0
Are you looking at the pictures you take with the droid x on your computer? videos and pictures will look better on the fascinate just because of the screen itself.

I have... I even uploaded videos from both phones on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayky2TAauiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hocRbsWJ34c

As well as taking images with stock settings the same and uploaded them to PC. The camera was horrible in anything below bright light or sunshine. They were terribly grainy from the DX. First image down below is DX. Not the best comparison but you can see the graininess and text is a lot clearer with the Fasc.

Attachments

• DX.jpg
    DX.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Fasc.jpg
    Fasc.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
I purchased a Fascinate in trade from a Droid X - The X seemed to large and was like talking into Kleenex box. But - I welcome that day with the X. The Fascinate has had a constant Buzz in the upper speaker. I spoke with Verizon Tech Support and they stated it is a Know Issue with certain lot numbers (batches) from Samsung. Samsung has not made an official recall but they recognize the issue and have intsructed Verizon to warranty any phones with the problem. I exchanged one at the Store, then after that due to their shrink (Items lost, returned etc.) did not want to exchange any more phones for me. So I utilized the Technical Support through Verizon (you must use an alternate phone) and they are working with me to get me back to the Droid X. - Stay from the Fascinate or make sure it does not have the Speaker Buzz Issue BEFORE YOU LEAVE the store. Make a few calls while the phone is hot - There are two change outs you get. 1 is called the Worry Free - also called a M1 (Management 1), then tech support helps you with what is called a M2 (Management 2), and you have to put the money up at the price you paid for the original. So they keep your money while you return the old phone via Store (24 hour credit) or mail (7 day credit) to the card you pay with. Be ware - this is a KNOWN issue with these phones. MANY batches have the issue. If you exchange one, do it at a DIFFERENT store, likely many of them have been manufactured with this blown speaker in the upper ear peice. Verizon Clovis, Ca

I am going back to the X. I would have chosen the Droid 2 hands down, vs the voice recognation does not work with Blue Tooth - but - small price to pay.

The Saumsung Fascinate is a worthless peice of junk, and I will NEVER buy ANY Samsung product ever again. They willing released this phone with this known issue, then make you wrestle with your provider and navigate their return policies...

If you get one, USE IT BEFORE YOUR STUCK WITH IT...

Upvote 0
I purchased a Fascinate in trade from a Droid X - The X seemed to large and was like talking into Kleenex box. But - I welcome that day with the X. The Fascinate has had a constant Buzz in the upper speaker. I spoke with Verizon Tech Support and they stated it is a Know Issue with certain lot numbers (batches) from Samsung. Samsung has not made an official recall but they recognize the issue and have intsructed Verizon to warranty any phones with the problem. I exchanged one at the Store, then after that due to their shrink (Items lost, returned etc.) did not want to exchange any more phones for me. So I utilized the Technical Support through Verizon (you must use an alternate phone) and they are working with me to get me back to the Droid X. - Stay from the Fascinate or make sure it does not have the Speaker Buzz Issue BEFORE YOU LEAVE the store. Make a few calls while the phone is hot - There are two change outs you get. 1 is called the Worry Free - also called a M1 (Management 1), then tech support helps you with what is called a M2 (Management 2), and you have to put the money up at the price you paid for the original. So they keep your money while you return the old phone via Store (24 hour credit) or mail (7 day credit) to the card you pay with. Be ware - this is a KNOWN issue with these phones. MANY batches have the issue. If you exchange one, do it at a DIFFERENT store, likely many of them have been manufactured with this blown speaker in the upper ear peice. Verizon Clovis, Ca

I am going back to the X. I would have chosen the Droid 2 hands down, vs the voice recognation does not work with Blue Tooth - but - small price to pay.

The Saumsung Fascinate is a worthless peice of junk, and I will NEVER buy ANY Samsung product ever again. They willing released this phone with this known issue, then make you wrestle with your provider and navigate their return policies...

Sorry you had a rough experience, but you seem to be in the vast minority. Good luck with the X though, it's a pretty nice phone.

Upvote 0

I had the same issues as this user.. Everyone I know that has this phone also echos the problem but brushes it off and talks about their beautiful screen... like they're trying to convince themselves into keeping an inferior phone. I almost did the same thing but am glad to be rid of a phone that wasn't well a good phone.

Upvote 0
I had the same issues as this user.. Everyone I know that has this phone also echos the problem but brushes it off and talks about their beautiful screen... like they're trying to convince themselves into keeping an inferior phone. I almost did the same thing but am glad to be rid of a phone that wasn't well a good phone.

How many people do you know that actually have this phone? I should have mine tomorrow, it has arrived at Fedex in Indianapolis, about five to ten miles from me. I expect it to be here tomorrow, hoping I have no issues, I still think most problems with the phone are in the majority, besides the GPS, which I don't really use so I am not too worried about it.

Upvote 0
I tried going back to the Fascinate from the DX today because of some software issues I was having, no dice!,I went through 2 Fascinates in about an hour from Best Buy. Both had the GPS issue along with terrible call quality. To say the least I was pretty upset and decided to just go back with the incredible. The Fascinate has the best hardware out of all the Verizon devices available right now. However Samsung better get their act together with software issues. My original Fascinate had really good call quality, but suffered from the now all to common signal issues. All in all, I will be trying their next push out when Samsung releases another line...the screen, and how the device feels in the hand is that good! However for now the revamped Incredible with 2.2 Froyo, and the SLCD screen gets the everyday device job.

Upvote 0
I've actually read the opposite. At the same time, it seems that there's been issues with the Fascinate drawing more power w/o use simply due to it having inferior reception to the X at times (before I excite the mob, I mean the SF isn't close to being always in par to the X's reception abilities), so it has to work harder.

I ran the DX and Fascinate side by side for a bit, after owning the X for about a week and a half, and I have to agree that the standby is longer on the Fascinate, but the DX got me more talk time. Of course this was with my particular usage. It will vary so much between users ...

I did extensive testing on the signal strength though, with both phones. As expected, the DX was better, but not anywhere near as much as I expected it to be. Even if the Samsung reported a bar or two less, the call quality remained excellent on both phones. I tested it in some very common problem areas, and in every single place where the DX outperformed my other phones by a noticeable margin, the Fascinate ALSO outperformed the other phones by a noticeable margin! This surprised me, and I continue to get excellent reception and call quality with my fascinate.

As far as the echo goes, if I have the volume extremely high on my fascinate, I can hear a bit of echo. If I turn it down a bit, it really does go away completely. I tested this placing calls Fascinate to Fascinate just to be sure.

And yesterday I used the GPS again. It was dead on. Locked fast. I turned on the satellite view as well, and I watched my little blue arrow (which was me!) drive around a neighborhood looking for a client's house. It was pretty funny to see an actual picture of the terrain I was on, and see this little blue triangle going back and forth, turning around, etc. I probably creeped some of the folks in that neighborhood out, but I was seriously having a blast playing with my GPS!! :D

I rooted the DX, and it made things better. I got rid of the crap on it, threw a new interface on it, and did some additional cleaning and tweaking and customizing. It is a fantastic phone, and at least I personally would be right as rain with either. I call both phones a tie overall, but the two things that swayed me finally in the direction of the Fascinate were readability in sunlight and ergonomics. The DX is dreadfully uncomfortable in the hand, and difficult to operate one-handed. The Fascinate feels much more natural and ergonomic.

And I don't know what some of you guys are doing comparing this things in the sun, but I cranked brightness to max on both phones, and the Fascinate was a little more contrasty out there. It might not have quite the brightness, but because the blacks are so black, even with brightness cranked all the way up, the contrast of the phone makes it really easy for me to read in the sun. If you turn down both phones' brighness all the way, the Fascinate also beats it in visibility.

Text is sharper on the DX though.

Reactions: Batbriel
Upvote 0
Seems the article I had read (didn't log the source) was wrong :[ But, like I said, that may very well not be the case in areas in which the Samsung has to work harder due to a poorer signal than the X (since the X SHOULD have either as good of reception or better).

To those in this thread that have said people complaining about call quality or GPS issues being a part of the minority.. you are dead wrong. Find a friend at Verizon or Best Buy store - I've been told there are a heavy number of exchanges/replacements (in comparison to other phones) for the Fascinate. It's definitely a great phone, but you have to hope you get a fully functional one.

SirKronan, with just receiving my Droid X 2 days ago, I have actually felt the hump to be more of an assistance (holding the phone with calls, pulling it out of the pocket) than hindrance heh. Using the phone with one hand hasn't been the least comfortable, but maybe I just have large enough hands.

Upvote 0
Seems the article I had read (didn't log the source) was wrong :[ But, like I said, that may very well not be the case in areas in which the Samsung has to work harder due to a poorer signal than the X (since the X SHOULD have either as good of reception or better).

To those in this thread that have said people complaining about call quality or GPS issues being a part of the minority.. you are dead wrong. Find a friend at Verizon or Best Buy store - I've been told there are a heavy number of exchanges/replacements (in comparison to other phones) for the Fascinate. It's definitely a great phone, but you have to hope you get a fully functional one.

SirKronan, with just receiving my Droid X 2 days ago, I have actually felt the hump to be more of an assistance (holding the phone with calls, pulling it out of the pocket) than hindrance heh. Using the phone with one hand hasn't been the least comfortable, but maybe I just have large enough hands.

It's deff a problem with returns...lots of people just won't stand for it and wait for a fix from Samsung and vzw..my guy at best buy said he got like 8 Fascinate returns since last week. We said every one coming in has the same call quality , GPS issue, and their mostly going with the incredible as a replacement. I love the phone, just can't deal with the BS issues.The x is awesome as well, I just couldn't get used to the phone freezing up on Me, and having to do battery pulls...no worries duel core lightning fast phones are on way boys and girls.

Upvote 0
Where the X shines (it does in other areas, but this one in particular) is what the person on the other end of the call hears (or does not hear). I've found it to be near perfect in filtering out almost any sort of background noise, so the caller hears nothing but your voice. Very important to quite a few people and in particular anyone who uses their phone for business. The Fascinate does not provide such filtering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones