• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
UPDATE: I just finished converting an mkv file into mp4 using FormatFactory (freeware) and it plays perfectly with the Eris' onboard video player, so at least that part works.

NOTE: If you decide to use FormatFactory BEWARE of the toolbar junkware it asks you to install. You have to uncheck the nonsense during the FF install process. Pays to be alert!

:D

Upvote 0
I've been having a lot of trouble with this... im converting using videora. But every time I try to play it on the eris the sound does not sync up with the video. Every time! I'mconverting from avi to mpeg 4 with video at 768kbps and audio at 128kbps.... 480x320...

Anyone have the same problem or know what im doing wrong?
I ever met the same problem with u, you could try this android video converter which is already optimized for output setting for android phone. So, you could convert various video to android-friendly format directly with it.

Upvote 0
I use Next DVD to rip movies. 480x320 256 kbps mpeg4 for full screen discs. 480x272 for widescreen (1.78:1). I've been using the default audio settings. Sounds good.

A 22 minute video uses 60mb. Make sure you select none for subtitles if you don't want them. Also, you have to manually configure the settings for each chapter. Just so you know.

For playback, I use ''Video Player'' from the market. Sound syncs fine with this combination.

Matt

Upvote 0
I'm also having trouble with this. I managed to get one movie on the Eris and it plays fine, but the other one, I can't get the sound to match the playback, it's off by a couple seconds. I used handbrake and the size mentioned above. Any suggestions?

Are you at the latest version of Handbrake?

I have not moved many movies over (well, only two), but I have used Handbrake with the preset set to iPhone/iPod Touch always for my iPod, and those movies work fine with the Eris.

Upvote 0
Just read this whole thread and honestly never even thought about putting movies on my phone...but what a concept :rolleyes: Just curious where everyone is getting the movies from??? Looked up some sites but they mostly rent them. Is it possible to download actual rented dvd's to my computer and then transfer?? Or are they all copy right protected? Please help as I need this for long road trips with my twins!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Just read this whole thread and honestly never even thought about putting movies on my phone...but what a concept :rolleyes: Just curious where everyone is getting the movies from??? Looked up some sites but they mostly rent them. Is it possible to download actual rented dvd's to my computer and then transfer?? Or are they all copy right protected? Please help as I need this for long road trips with my twins!!!!!!

Um, the LEGAL way is to make backup copies of DVDs that you already own. Please don't make digital copies of rented movies, piracy is against the law. Be honest, just make digital copies of your own movies.

Upvote 0
The legality of this is questionable, at least in the US, but you can use Handbrake along with VLC and it should be able to decode most commercial DVDs. (Even making digital copies of movies that you own is questionable legally in the US. It should be protected by Fair Use, but decoding encrypted content is against the DMCA and overrules any Fair Use. At least as Fair Use is currently enforced by US courts.)

That said, almost all of the video content that I have available to copy to my Eris or iPod was recorded on my Mac using EyeTV and converted with Handbrake.

Upvote 0
This is a dup thread. Do a search before making another thread. You can download movies from crackberry.com forums. The thread is called "my first post"

If you want to create your custom vids use SuperC. google It. You can take any format and encode it to any format and customize the size quality etc. I posted how tos and links In another thread.

Upvote 0
This is a dup thread. Do a search before making another thread. You can download movies from crackberry.com forums. The thread is called "my first post"

If you want to create your custom vids use SuperC. google It. You can take any format and encode it to any format and customize the size quality etc. I posted how tos and links In another thread.

thanx. I really just needed to know where I can download movies! where does everyone else download them from? anything free?

Upvote 0
Just pay for the movies yourself. If everyone gets their movies for free, then the people who make them don't make money to produce new movies. It's a way of telling the people "thank you" for their talents and that you look forward to them producing another quality product.

Bluray movies now have a digital copy of the movie you can play in your iPhone/Android. You need a BD-Rom player though to get them.

Many of the movies on Crackberry are crap quality, especially the handy cam versions of theater movies. Just rent them and convert into a video format one can use on their device. Or buy them if so inclined to pay nearly $30 for a new release. Netflix is a better deal.

Upvote 0
Bluray movies now have a digital copy of the movie you can play in your iPhone/Android. You need a BD-Rom player though to get them.

Many of the movies on Crackberry are crap quality, especially the handy cam versions of theater movies. Just rent them and convert into a video format one can use on their device. Or buy them if so inclined to pay nearly $30 for a new release. Netflix is a better deal.

Copying movies you haven't paid for is stealing. Don't encourage criminal behavior. That's immoral and childish.

Let's try to keep this forum one of adult discourse.

Matt

Upvote 0
Since many of you seem to be using handbrake, does anyone know why most of my dvds I try to convert that I already own come out extremely choppy? I own 2 or 3 movies that wouldnt mind having on my phone, which unfortunately did not come with digital copies. Any recommendations? I really dont want to have to purchase software to do the ripping.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Couple details I stumbled across on this subject ...

i) Ripping copies of your own movies (incl. BluRay) for backup or your own mobile viewing, supposedly one of the cleaner/easy tools is called DVDFab (DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod) ... something to look into if you need it. I have heard there are cracked "portable" versions out there that do all the features including mobile conversion without any Windows installation needed, just double-click (you're on your own for that one!).

ii) From the Meridian Player site Android specs for supported video format are:

Supported Codec:
H.264/AVC
H.263/MPEG4 Part-2
WMV/8 (9 is not playable)
AAC/mp4a/AMR/mp3/wave/wma8 audio

Supported File Container:
.mp4
.3gp

iii) For the Mac folks with Handbrake, a precise How To ... Android HTC Hero/Eris x264 (h.264) video encoding with HandBrake | SMOR.tv : Sam Morris

iv) For the Windows crowd here is Meridian Player's posted How To ... Video Tutorial (Eternal Sand)

ksDevGuy

Upvote 0
Couple details I stumbled across on this subject ...

i) Ripping copies of your own movies (incl. BluRay) for backup or your own mobile viewing, supposedly one of the cleaner/easy tools is called DVDFab (DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod) ... something to look into if you need it. I have heard there are cracked "portable" versions out there that do all the features including mobile conversion without any Windows installation needed, just double-click (you're on your own for that one!).

ii) From the Meridian Player site Android specs for supported video format are:

Supported Codec:
H.264/AVC
H.263/MPEG4 Part-2
WMV/8 (9 is not playable)
AAC/mp4a/AMR/mp3/wave/wma8 audio

Supported File Container:
.mp4
.3gp

iii) For the Mac folks with Handbrake, a precise How To ... Android HTC Hero/Eris x264 (h.264) video encoding with HandBrake | SMOR.tv : Sam Morris

iv) For the Windows crowd here is Meridian Player's posted How To ... Video Tutorial (Eternal Sand)

ksDevGuy

Been using DVDfab for a few years now and it works great. It does cost to use the mobile part of the software though.

Upvote 0
It is still renting if you delete them after watching.:D

If I am not mistaken, from a legal point of view, the issue is not whether it is Fair Use, but whether you are knowingly breaking digital encryption of the DVD in violation of the DMCA. Whether you own the DVD or not, if there is digital encryption and you break it, you are potentially in violation of the DMCA.

Unless and until the courts decide that Fair Use trumps the restrictions inthe DMCA, that is.

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, from a legal point of view, the issue is not whether it is Fair Use, but whether you are knowingly breaking digital encryption of the DVD in violation of the DMCA. Whether you own the DVD or not, if there is digital encryption and you break it, you are potentially in violation of the DMCA.

Unless and until the courts decide that Fair Use trumps the restrictions inthe DMCA, that is.

ANother example of the intent of a law diverging from the application. I don't know how any attorneys are able to remain sane.

Matt

Upvote 0
Granted, it may be legal if you delete them before you return the original copy. I just want us all to remember that it takes a lot of hard work from a lot of people to make a movie. Let up not exploit anyone.

Matt

I currently own about 2300 or so DVDs and BlueRays. Yes, I am a complete movie junkie and could probably kill most people at the Kevin Bacon game (I am aware that that is really really sad). I have been backing up my movies for the last 4 or 5 years. I had one of the original DVD burners that came out on the market. I started for the dvd players in the cars because I refused to let the kids touch any of the originals :D and I have made a few double copies for the play room for the same reason. I do not support, agree with, care for or condone piracy of movies at all. I have made a few copies of rentals for use on my phones (current and past) simply because I have more flexibility to watch this way or because it is something the kids or my girl do not want to watch (scary or gory).

All that being said, I can completely see why people are pirating movies these days. My girl and I took the kids to see the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie just after Christmas. It was a matinee and the total cost for 2 adults and 2 kids was $30 for tickets and $20 for popcorn/drinks (popcorn there sucked too). $50 to go see a matinee of a kids movie is absolutely nuts as far as I am concerned. With the economy the way it is right now, I am surprised that anyone ever goes to the movies. I know I would rather buy the movie outright for less than half that than spend the money at the theater. So while I agree that pirating is theft and that is wrong, I can also see where the industry is driving people to do it.

BTW, I didn't say any of that to start a big debate so let's not go there. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones