• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AF_Commando

Lurker
Jul 17, 2010
Ok i have some blu ray movies that allow you to put them on portable device such as this phone but for some reason when i put them on the phone and open them it says something about media rights, even though i have authorized blu ray copies.also avatar works fine, has anyone else put movies on there phone and could tell me whats wrong?

kinda weird you need an apple device to play windows files, do you know any way around this?

There are two options when making a digital copy. The Itunes version and the Windows Media version. The Apple devices wouldnt be able to play the Windows Media files either. You would have had to select the Itunes option in your digital copy.

As for a way around it, I don't use the digital copy option. I just rip my Blurays to iso's. If I want to put a particular movie on the phone I will create an mkv from that copy. It can take a good while tho based on your computers hardware to downscale a copy to a size suitable for our phones.

Upvote 0
There are two options when making a digital copy. The Itunes version and the Windows Media version. The Apple devices wouldnt be able to play the Windows Media files either. You would have had to select the Itunes option in your digital copy.

As for a way around it, I don't use the digital copy option. I just rip my Blurays to iso's. If I want to put a particular movie on the phone I will create an mkv from that copy. It can take a good while tho based on your computers hardware to downscale a copy to a size suitable for our phones.

Is the .mkv format better than the 3gp?

Upvote 0
.mkv is a container, 3gp is a codec. They are not the same thing as an .mkv could contain any number of different codecs within it.

What are you asking? Which codec is the best? or which container?

I personally use .mkv as the container with h264 video and ac3 for audio.

My mistake, I thought they were both codecs. Do you typically downsize the resolution when converting for mobile use? If so, to what size?

Upvote 0
My mistake, I thought they were both codecs. Do you typically downsize the resolution when converting for mobile use? If so, to what size?

It depends on the source, for DVD's I usually do not resize. I just convert to h264 for the video and reencode the audio to 192Kbps AC3.

For Blurays and HDTV, I generally resize to 1280x720 and bump the bitrate up on the video side to between 2500 and 3500Kbps depending on what it is (animation vs action for example).

I use Ripbot264 for my encodes in case you are curious, although Handbrake works as well if that's what you are familiar with.

Reactions: robo21
Upvote 0
Thank you Krichek, obviously I'm new to video conversion for mobile devices. Any advice is welcome. I've previously used the Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate. I tried converting a Divx (avi) to H264 and it worked fine although the audio choices did not include AC3. The file extension of the output file was MP4. It did play and sounded OK but do you think I'd be better off with Ripbot?

Video Converter Ultimate also has an output setting for "Mobile Phone" which results in 3gp extension with stereo audio.

Upvote 0
Thank you Krichek, obviously I'm new to video conversion for mobile devices. Any advice is welcome. I've previously used the Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate. I tried converting a Divx (avi) to H264 and it worked fine although the audio choices did not include AC3. Instead the audio was shown as MP4. It did play and sounded OK but do you think I'd be better off with Ripbot?

No problem, I've never used the software you mentioned so I don't want say one is better than the other without some first hand knowledge. I can say that Ripbot is pretty powerful but hides a lot of the complex stuff behind a fairly simple interface. It's there if you want to dig, but it's also very easy to get great conversions without ever touching any of it.

RipBot264 v1.16.2 - Simple and easy to use GUI -> IPOD . PSP . CONSOLES . BLURAY - Doom9's Forum is the link to download it, it's always updated with the latest version and is also filled with tons of information on settings etc. Alot of it is way over my head so don't feel to overwhelmed if you take a look at it hehe.

If you want some settings after youve taken a look at it let me know and I'll be glad to pass some along.

Reactions: robo21
Upvote 0
No problem, I've never used the software you mentioned so I don't want say one is better than the other without some first hand knowledge. I can say that Ripbot is pretty powerful but hides a lot of the complex stuff behind a fairly simple interface. It's there if you want to dig, but it's also very easy to get great conversions without ever touching any of it.

RipBot264 v1.16.2 - Simple and easy to use GUI -> IPOD . PSP . CONSOLES . BLURAY - Doom9's Forum is the link to download it, it's always updated with the latest version and is also filled with tons of information on settings etc. Alot of it is way over my head so don't feel to overwhelmed if you take a look at it hehe.

If you want some settings after youve taken a look at it let me know and I'll be glad to pass some along.

Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Hello Krichek,

Are you using one of the profiles that came with Ripbot264 or did you come up with a custom one? I've tried using various profiles that came with ripbot264 and they all play fine on my computer with vlc but when I put the video on my Vibrant the picture breaks up when there is movement.

Upvote 0
Hello Krichek,

Are you using one of the profiles that came with Ripbot264 or did you come up with a custom one? I've tried using various profiles that came with ripbot264 and they all play fine on my computer with vlc but when I put the video on my Vibrant the picture breaks up when there is movement.

Couple questions, what are you trying to encode? Bluray rip? DVD? Downloaded video?

What settings were you using?

For a typical Bluray rip that I am re-encoding mine would look like this.

Under profile for video it would be set to [high 4.0] HD.BLURAY
For mode it would be set to 2pass then change the KBPS box to 2048.
Click the properties box and in the size box choose HD-Ready 1280x720

On the other side for audio I generally use the pulldown and select 5.1 CT AAC-HE 192kbps [abr]

Upvote 0
Couple questions, what are you trying to encode? Bluray rip? DVD? Downloaded video?

On the other side for audio I generally use the pulldown and select 5.1 CT AAC-HE 192kbps [abr]

And what about reencoding Divx compressions of DVD's? What settings would you use then?

Upvote 0

Yes I am trying to encode Bluray rips. For my Vibrant I was trying the base 3.0 to main 3.1 profiles and cq mode of 20 instead of 2pass mode. I'll give your settings a shot, thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes I am trying to encode Bluray rips. For my Vibrant I was trying the base 3.0 to main 3.1 profiles and cq mode of 20 instead of 2pass mode. I'll give your settings a shot, thanks!

Yea, the cq mode has a tendency to have the bitrate jump very high for heavy action scenes etc.. That is probably what was happening with your video glitches.

No trouble, Divx plays just fine. I was thinking that further compression/reencoding to H264 might reduce the file size of such movies. Maybe it's not worth the trouble.

It probably isn't, Unless they are 1080p encodes or something.

Upvote 0
I should have mentioned this before, But I encode to 1280x720 with 5.1 audio because I am planning on buying the USB to HDMI cable when it is released and don't want to have to re-encode again when that happens.

If these were going to be used for nothing but the screen on the phone I would probably re-encode down to 480 with stereo sound for a smaller size with good quality.

It's always nice to throw up a 720p mkv with 5.1AC3 to show off what the phone can do tho as well. :D:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones