• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

marine one

Dec 22, 2009
Big Red recently notified me I was due an upgrade so I pulled the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy S4 this past weekend. Wal-mart had the phone for $167 with a $50 gift card, so I went to Big Red, changed my plan from the grandfathered unlimited Alltel I was on to a 4 GB Share Everything plan and had them add my employee discount [that they wouldn't give me with the Alltel plan because it wasn't a Verizon plan]. I've evaluated my use for the last 18 months, which was as far back as online billing would allow me to go. I usually hover at just under 2 gb and have run slightly over 3 gb twice in the last 18 months, so I should be fine at 4 GB. With the 20% discount from my employer my bill won't go up, and actually might even go down by a few dollars a month.

In a word, the new phone is great. Lots of great features. It is a big improvement over the Bionic, which I always thought was a pretty good phone. It just seems much faster than the Bionic. There has been some talk about a lag in the user interface but I am not seeing it. Dan Droide, who used to be over here and has also jumped to GS4, sent me a couple of video links containing adjustments to the phone that really speed things up and remove any lag [assuming there was any in the first place].

Thanks to everyone here for the help and friendship over the past almost two years. There are lots of good people here who have gone out of their ways to help others, particularly with rooting and restoring bricked devices. I rooted my phone, took it off the Verizon update path and was able to return it to same to get ICS when it finally arrived thanks to the help of those here. It was a hell of a ride. Thanks again.

From the leaked specks of the moto x you will be jumping elsewhere.

Now, @evleaks, a source of plenty of leaks in the past, claims that the handset will pack a 720p touchscreen display, 1.7GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (MSM8960), 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 10-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera and Android 4.2.2 Jelly bean under the hood.

Upvote 0
I'll also wish you luck with the phone, and I'd also be interested to know what sort of battery life you see with the GS4. My upgrade is in 55 days (yes, I am counting) and it's my one major concern with the phone.

The battery life on the GS4 is very impressive. I am getting more time between charges with the S4 using the standard battery than I was getting with the bionic using the moto extended battery. I was planning a trip and was unsure what to expect so I purchased a kit on Amazon for $25 that gave me 2 aftermarket batteries and a wall battery charger, similar to what is supplied for a digital camera battery. I charged both spare batteries before the trip and never needed either one. This included using the phone quite a bit while waiting in airports. I finally swapped out the oem battery today for one of the aftermarket batteries just to see how well they will work.

My experience has been that battery life is not an issue with the GS4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones