1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moving Android Apps to SD card

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Philpense, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Philpense

Philpense Newbie

Have the Proscan PLT8802 Tablet with Android 4.2.2 The manual is poor and I have yet to find guidance on how to move or reinstall apps to the 32GB SD Internal storage recently inserted. I see two possible paths:

Settings- Storage

Settings-Apps Check boxes can be highlighted but not checked. Attached find images. Need guidance on how to proceed.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Don't have the images, but there are 2 possible answers here:

1) pre-installed apps cannot be moved. But these live in a different partition, so you'd not gain space even if you could, just reduce reliability.

2) Android 4 does not natively support moving apps to SD at all. Some manufacturers have added it back to some of their devices, but in general it's not possible and the removable card is for media only, not apps.

BTW calling a removable card "internal storage" will confuse people. That term normally refers to the fixed, built-in storage. To add to the confusion, the /sdcard directory in your filesystem is not the sd card but part of the built-in storage (and the removable card will have some other name like sdcard1 or ext_sd). That's the result of trying not to break backward compatibility with old apps and devices after some poor choices of naming were made earlier, but I find it thoroughly stupid.

3. Philpense

Philpense Newbie