• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moving app data to sd without root?

You're right. It doesn't I guess. The guide that said no root required to force move, was wrong too. Im not afraid of root as much as partitioning. It appears too complicated and risky, sometimes allegedly leading to issues like using sd like usb on the pc. Or worse. I've been reading the guides...

Maybe a temporary partition that could be used to move the data to?
It would have PC issues too,wouldn't it.

Upvote 0
You're right. It doesn't I guess. The guide that said no root required to force move, was wrong too. Im not afraid of root as much as partitioning. It appears too complicated and risky, sometimes allegedly leading to issues like using sd like usb on the pc. Or worse. I've been reading the guides...

Maybe a temporary partition that could be used to move the data to?
It would have PC issues too,wouldn't it.
Can you tell us what you mean by "PC issues"?

A Windows PC can't read an ext partition, but it doesn't need to. As long as you do it right (back up first, use GParted rather than some Windows tool) there should be no problem.

Do you need to move app data to SD? There are scripts that do that, but it's a bit more advanced than regular a2sd, and needs a fast card.

Reactions: blackandroidph
Upvote 0
Okay, bought a bigger SD card, backed up the data of the old one, partitioned the new one.
By PC issues I meant, I read somewhere that sometimes it becomes impossible to read the entire SD card on pc as USB instead of just the ext part.

Tried using Link2SD but I guess I need to S-Off first, cuz its giving me an error (Yeah my phone says S-ON)...and now there's the fear of bricking my phone...

"Is there any risk involved?

Yes, there is. Flashing HBOOT will flash a critical part of your phone, if that gets corrupted, your phone WILL be bricked.
We do not accept any responsibility for bricked phones, even though we've attempted to make the actual flashing method as safe as possible.
If your phone no longer turns on anymore, please return to HTC for warranty purposes.
Should you still run this hack/program, you then hereby accept full responsibility."

Please tell me there's a safer way -_-

(I'm beginning to think I should have grabbed Sense XL or x1 from the shop while I was there...HTC Desire has literally no selling price anymore.)

Can you tell us what you mean by "PC issues"?

A Windows PC can't read an ext partition, but it doesn't need to. As long as you do it right (back up first, use GParted rather than some Windows tool) there should be no problem.

Do you need to move app data to SD? There are scripts that do that, but it's a bit more advanced than regular a2sd, and needs a fast card.

Yeah, I run out of internal memory even though most apps I use are movable to sd. I guess its cuz some of the app data gets left behind in the internal memory. So I thought I'd figure out a way to move that too.

Upvote 0
The best bet is to use an a2sd+ script. By that, once rooted, I mean flash a Rom with a2sd. You don't need to be s-off and if you ,are s-off, you don't need to flash a hboot.

Word of caution, we prefer you stay with guides only on this forum. We maintain them and vouch for the content. Other guides, we cannot

Upvote 0
The best bet is to use an a2sd+ script. By that, once rooted, I mean flash a Rom with a2sd.

Could you guide me how to do that / where the androidforum guide is? That wont move all my apps will it? I still get to choose? I already have the superuser permissions app, if that counts towards rooting.

And yeah...I used your guides for partitioning and everything. Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I run out of internal memory even though most apps I use are movable to sd. I guess its cuz some of the app data gets left behind in the internal memory. So I thought I'd figure out a way to move that too.
There are ways, but they are less common that the a2sd script, and have more performance implications.

The a2sd+ solution (a2sd ROM plus ext partition) will free some space, as all of your apps will be moved. It will also allow you to move your dalvik cache (app files used by android's java implementation), which if you have a lot of apps will make a big difference. My guess is that with that moved you'll be OK without needing a data2sd approach, so I'd certainly try that first.

Upvote 0
Don't they give you warnings about not moving some apps? Will it move system apps too and the built in ones? I don't want to touch those... I think I have maybe 11-23 apps and my space can fall to 15mb so I'm doubtful a2sd without data2sd would be enough but I'm willing to try minus the risks. I would really prefer to be able to choose to avoid touching the apps the phone came with etc.

Upvote 0
There are 2 types of moving to SD. The google "move to sd" method should not be used for all apps, e.g. those with widgets. The version that uses an ext partition is fine for these - ext3 or ext4 is a linux format, and stuff there looks to the phone as if it is internal memory. Really, no problem at all. Most of us in the root forum have used this for extended periods.

And no, it can't move system apps (all built-in apps are system apps in this context).

As for space, moving the dalvik cache is also a considerable saving.

Read the root memory faq in the All Things Root forum sticky post to understand the differences.

However, there's one odd thing here: you say you have 11-23 apps but your space falls to 15MB. That's really not many, unless these are very large apps. Are you sure that there isn't some other problem, like contacts storage or some social networking app guzzling a crazy amount of space? Try going into the manage applications menu, select all apps (not just downloaded), then sort by size and see what is using the space.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No you cannoy simply flash the a2sd script on your stock rom. Your stock rom needs something called init.d support. This is basically a folder the script will sit in that if its in that folder, it will run at boot up - every boot up - which is how the script needs to work.

Unfortunately init.d support is not in stock roms so you need to simply find a custom rom (can even be a rooted stock rom) and flash the whole rom, whcih includes init.d and a2sd.

My recommendation is Teppic74;s gingerbread rom.

The thread for that is here:

[ROM] [20/08] Pre-rooted Stock Gingerbread (3.14.405.1) [Optional Mods] - xda-developers

Search teh thread using the thread tools to find the "mirror" (Use mirror as your search term) as the post 1 download links are dead.

Upvote 0
Okay I did it :) Thanks :) I used the rom itself, radio and a2sd...but I dont see an a2sd app...how do I use it, is it an automatic script? Or did I mess up? It shows my SD Fat32 partition, (6GB) and internal space 132MB but not the 1GB I set aside for the a2sd...in the settings

Edit: Also is it safe to get a newer version of htc sense rom? Wont affect the rooting or a2sd will it?

Edit: And if I later want to use data2sd, can I use something that works with this? I'd like to keep it in advance in case I need to.

Upvote 0
Okay. That goes for any OS updates as well, right? I should refrain from getting them. I'm watching my memory go down without doing anything (haven't even gotten my apps back yet), hence my ridiculous questions. :p Sorry. 135MB to 129. But That may just be my contacts perhaps. I already read the FAQ. Don't worry the a2sD works :D phew! Should I attach the radio and flashlight roms in case anyone is following the thread? The link given in that thread didn't work.

What about data2sd? If I use a script, it should work with this, right?

Upvote 0
Never accept an over the air OS update once you are rooted. Though having flashed the GB ROM, I don't think you'll get any :)

Radios and flashlights can be found in many places. I'd not worry about attaching them to the thread.

In principle data2sd should work, I believe, but have not tried it so no promises.

As this thread is actually, despite the title, almost entirely about root matters I'm going to migrate it to the All Things Root subforum.

Upvote 0
1GB should be fine for a2sd. Some internal space is still used, so you'll run out of that before you fill a 1GB partition :)

There are other techniques for making space, but they need a smaller ROM. All in the root memory faq, but no need to rush into that sort of thing. This should keep you going for a while.

Once you are using a custom ROM there's no over the air update. You update by flashing a new ROM. If it's very similar (e.g. an update to the same ROM) you can do that without a wipe, but if you change ROM it's a fresh install (backup, wipe, update, restore).

The lack of over the air updates isn't really a lack, since there are no significant official updates coming for the desire now anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones