• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving apps from phone to memory card

Can't be done unfortunately. I was surprised too! Decided to simply keep all my media on card, so as to leave my 16Gb on phablet free for apps!

It may be possible that an app may exist that would allow this, but if there was one I would assume that it would require your phone to be rooted.

A minor shame, however this isn't really an issue for me, so it still doesn't change the fact that I think this is the best mobile device I have ever owned. Will only matter to those who like to install many games I think.

Upvote 0
apps to sd may work

I downloaded it and it said it wouldn't work for this phone. From what I've read, only some of the app gets moved, but it is difficult for later versions of android.

I used to use Palms, and that was great for moving apps to the memory card, but you only had about 3 bytes of memory on the phone / pda so you needed to.

Upvote 0
I downloaded it and it said it wouldn't work for this phone. From what I've read, only some of the app gets moved, but it is difficult for later versions of android.

I used to use Palms, and that was great for moving apps to the memory card, but you only had about 3 bytes of memory on the phone / pda so you needed to.

I can confirm after extensive seatching earlier the only way to do it is by rooting the device as App 2 SD doesn't work for these newer androids. It will tell you which ones are moveable but you won't be able to move them.
11gb is a lot of games and apps though, as coming from a phone with 186mb of internal space i should be fine though now i can obviously play these HD shooting and racing games though most of them are only 150 meg, so its not too much of an issue.

Upvote 0
I can confirm after extensive seatching earlier the only way to do it is by rooting the device as App 2 SD doesn't work for these newer androids. It will tell you which ones are moveable but you won't be able to move them.
11gb is a lot of games and apps though, as coming from a phone with 186mb of internal space i should be fine though now i can obviously play these HD shooting and racing games though most of them are only 150 meg, so its not too much of an issue.

Yeah, it seems that for newer Android devices loaded with ICS or Jelly Bean, there's no more partitioning that previously existed on devices that had both internal storage and a microSD slot.

I didn't realize this until a few of my relatives got the Photon Q and it didn't show any partitioning like the original Photon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones