1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Moving Apps to SD Command

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stevcha, Feb 24, 2011.

1. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert

There was a command you could run from terminal that moved apps to sd.

It had something about location 2 or something in the command. Anyone know it?

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

You mean a2sd? Go to that page, and click the link for commands.

3. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert

No it was just a command. You enable such then type some other command. Ive used it before but can't remember it lol

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

There's only two (main) ways to move apps to the sdcard. The first is froyo apps2sd, which is an app by app option. I don't think there is any way of running anything from the terminal to do that. The other option is a2sd, which is done by commands from the terminal. The only other option I can think of is the much less popular links2sd, which is like a2sd, but on an app by app basis. It isn't run from the terminal, though. I honestly have no idea what else you might be talking about.

5. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert

Found it:

su (enter)
    pm setInstallLocation 2

akazabam likes this.
  6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Ah, I see. I seem to recall reading about that now. What that does is force all apps to use froyo apps2sd even if the developer hasn't coded it in. It's basically the same idea as forcing apps to the sdcard with titanium backup. I would highly recommend you not do this because:

1) It's an all (almost) or nothing option. It will attempt to move all apps to the sdcard.
    2) If it moves an app that uses widgets, I would assume it works like any other app moved via apps2sd, and won't allow you to use the widget anymore.
    3) If you connect your phone to your computer and mount as a disk drive, way more apps will be unavailable during that time.
    4) I've heard too many horror stories about forcing apps to the sdcard when they weren't necessarily designed to do so. This is (sort of) the same as what titanium backup does when you force apps to the card. Force too many, and you might be asking for trouble.

Personally, I would recommend you look into a2sd. It's a much better option if you want to move all apps to the card.

stevcha likes this.
  7. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert

So far I haven't had any issues. There are some apps that it can't move where it shows greyed out.

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Yeah, it seems that it still can't move everything. Thanks for reminding me about that, in any case.

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

why not darktremor a2sd?

10. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert

Laziness on my part, lol

Tags: