1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tips Moving files ?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cxs6957, Apr 22, 2014.

1. cxs6957

cxs6957 Member

I apologize if there's a topic on this but navigating forums on a phone isn't easy, but I'm getting annoyed here. I've now downloaded four different file managers on my M8 and none of them can transfer downloaded files to my SD card apparently, and from what I've read this is an annoying new KitKat feature. Is there an app capable of moving things I downloaded through torrents,or ********, or saved pictures to the external storage, or do I have to freaking wait until I'm at a computer? I must say I'm very unhappy that Google has done this, I feel like I'm stuck with some iPhone or something. Le sigh.

Advertisement

2. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi.
    it's a good if common question :-D ...I've asked it.. the answer is no... unless rooted.. think only way to do it is to use pc! :-(

3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

just sent email to google Android about this.. suggest we all do maybe?

4. vosg

vosg Android Expert

dan55 likes this.
  5. sikclown

sikclown Android Expert

It really was changed for security reasons. It is a hassle but I get why they did it.

6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

i can understand not letting any old app write to sd etc, bit think there should be a way for user to use a file explorer app to copy stuff

7. vosg

vosg Android Expert

There was no need to apply these restrictions for the micro SD card. OK for internal storage, I agree.

8. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

read the article link above.. thanks.. still think that googles action is a bit overkill... and still think that a file explorer app with my express permission to write should be allowed

9. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

no reply from google :-( ..but then they are too rich to give a rats i guess :-D

10. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Hi, have you tried E S File Explorer, the developers have responded :-

See this

I had the same problem with my OTG/USB storage on my M7 after the 4.4.2 update. E S File Explorer works for me. (Despite the reference to root - my M7 is not rooted - I can certainly write to files on my USB storage and copy to / from USB storage).

Hope this helps.

:)

cxs6957 and dan55 like this.
  11. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

mmmm... I've got es and I get write error when trying to copy :-\ is there an update coming?
    cheers

12. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

The latest update, version 3.1.2, was 17th April and included the 4.4 changes. If that is the one you have then maybe it only works with the OTG/USB and not SD, unless you are rooted.

(I was surprised that it worked for me because of the reference to being rooted.)

:(

dan55 likes this.
  13. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

bummer :-( yes that is the one i have

14. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Thank you for your feedback

The android system 4.4 has changed permission of ext-sdcard

We are working on it and will find a solution asap

Best Regards,

ES Supporting Team

15. yoden22

yoden22 Newbie

I've hidden amongst the rafters of this forum, waiting for the moment to make myself known. This is that moment.

So "hi" everyone 😃 longtime iPhone user, first time Android owner. And, let me say, I love this phone! prior to purchasing the M8 I gave the S5 a shot for a week and wasn't satisfied (originally wanted the M8 but they didn't have it in Gunmetal, so I settled for the S5). Returned it to Best Buy, got the M8 when the Gunmetal showed up, and have never looked back since.

With that said, I'm a little confused myself about the recent Kit Kat update. I understand that copying and pasting from the phone to the sd card is no longer possible, but just this morning I updated my girlfriends S4 to 4.4.2(she didn't know it wasn't up to date) and tried using the same method (copying and pasting a photo from the internal storage to the sd card) and it was able to do the task, no problem.

My guess is that this has to do with the fact that her S4 has a dedicated app built into the phone (My Files) where I've had to use a 3rd party app to manipulate files...as far as I know, there is no HTC dedicated file app.

Still, this doesn't seem fair (though I guess life isn't always fair!) but is there something I'm missing here?

16. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi there and welcome.
    good move with the phone swap i think :D
    ...yes i did notice that there isnt an internal file manager which is odd - but that could be the reason i guess - interesting that the sammy can copy files - maybe there is hope for us yet! :D
    cheers
    dan

17. yoden22

yoden22 Newbie

Seems Samsung owners may be, to a degree, unaffected, at least for simple things like transferring photos and video (dunno about music). Apps and such seems to be a different issue altogether that effects us all.

Would be nice to see a dedicated first party file manager, though. That would help the situation, I think.

18. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

yes agree - was an odd thing to leave out i think :/

19. cxs6957

cxs6957 Member

Hey, I appreciate your post. Actually ES is the file manager I have on my phone right now, I just noticed, it was the third I tried with no luck and just left it because I use file managers frequently so it will come in handy later. But alas, it doesn't have write permission.

I'm not even mad about the app thing, but I truly hate that it seems there's no way at all to copy my files and media to my freakin SD card. What's the point of having an SD slot in the first place? Grr. I'm mainly frustrated because I'm computerless at the moment, and at the moment it seems like the only reason I'd even NEED a computer is to do this.

But if anyone knows of a place where I could keep an eye out for any changes to this, to allow me to copy files *without rooting* (nothing against it, but while I'm not totally tech ignorant I'm NOT comfortable with attempting it myself), I'd greatly greatly appreciate it.

Hopefully HTC will just include an update that has a file manager that overrides this policy. *fingers crossed*

dan55 likes this.
  20. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

yeah it's rubbish isn't it... thanks google :-(

21. dachillefx

dachillefx Newbie

What's up M8 fam? I'm not mad,I'm pissed...Paid Verizon $80 for a class ten 64gd micro sd card, and can't use it, can't transfer the 1900 plus songs from the device to the sd. Money wasted. HTC finally gives us what we've been asking for ever since the DNA and Google throws a monkey wrench in the equation. As soon as someone comes up with a solution please post or email it to me. In the meantime thanks for listening...

22. SolApathy

SolApathy Just another robot
    VIP Member

You can root the device, or you can move the files manually using a pc

dan55 likes this.
  23. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hoping es file explorer team can sort... but feel that root is probably the most likely way

24. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

the clear space option in settings might do it.. not tested this yet though

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.