• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moving from 2.3.9

my phone needs an upgrade. i haven't modified it since back in september of 2010 when the froyo leak came out, and i'd like to get up to speed with the best of you. currently, i'm running a rooted 2.2 DX on the 2.3.9 system version, and i'd like to be updated, yet still able to receive OTAs. outside of unrooting, what else do i have to do to get to the latest level? thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
nice! how big is that file??
well it was like 440mb or so but i believe p3 zipped a file with the sbf inside it so the overall may be smaller,,,,i downloaded it as a straight file then p3 released his which again i believe he zipped and the original i got it from the links are dead so just consult the thread link;)

Upvote 0
i've downloaded the maderstok file and placed it on the root of my sdcard, yet when i do a bootstrap recovery, it does not appear. any ideas as to why?
its not anywhere??,,,how did you download it,,,if from your x browser itself it will be in your download/ folder
if you tranfered it from your mac be sure it was succesfully transfered
to confirm if it was or not open your file manager (astro or whatever you use)and try to find it

Upvote 0
What does RSDlite do? I downloaded the .sbf file and opened RSDlite. Do I just plug in my phone now and press start?
rsd is a windows software that allows the sbf to flash the phone
start rsd
hook up phone and select i believe recognize device(bare with me i use a different method in linux and am going off memory)
then once it recognizes your device (if it doesnt recognize you will have to download the proper drivers)you willl see a little box with 3 dots in it select it
then select the sbf file and start

Upvote 0
it's the weirdest thing, i've checked ES File Explorer several times and it's right there in the root of the sdcard, yet when i bootload, it doesn't appear at all. wtf??
try to redownload it,,,are you downloading and transfering from your computer or downloading from your x??try the opposite of whatever method your trying and see if that works,,,this is most odd

Reactions: SnowBose
Upvote 0
Every time i try to uninstall RSDlite 4.9 and install 4.8, 4.9 pops back up. its not recognizing my phone.

so now i tried doing the maderstcok340.zip method but find out that i have to be rooted to run bootstrapper which is needed to run the maderstcok file.

What the hell am I doing wrong here?
are you in bootloader mode trying to flash?,,,if not power x off hold down power ,volume down and camera together until you see a black screen with white letters with a bootloader mode
also if your not rooted why are you attempting this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones