• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving from iOS to Android

fk23

Lurker
Jan 30, 2013
Hello
I've just snapped up a Nexus 4. Yay me.
Although I already have an iPhone 5, and have been with iPhone for a number of years. I haven't gone off the iPhone, but the Nexus 4 has been the first phone I've read about that seems to be comparatively as good as/better/equal to any of the iPhone variations I have been through.

Whilst I am not sure I will make the hard switch (which ever way I decide to go in the end, I can sell on, thank goodness for demand), I do need some tips as to how mu iOS habits can be retained in Android.

For example, here's my typical usage.
Phoning people, rarely.
Texting, rarer than that.

I take a LOT of photos. Due to integration with my iMac a lot of my iPhoto stuff gets onto my iPhone too with Photostream. Is Dropbox a good alternative to keep my photos as I'm going from a 64gb device to a 16gb device? Are there other methods, and what's the photo browsing like on 4.2?

Music-wise, due to work banning me from listening and me riding a scooter to work, I don't get a lot of commute/travel music done but I do like to use Spotify's offline playlists as well as the onboard music app. How does Android handle music play? I vowed no more CDs this year so buy everything digitally anyway, can content I bought in iTunes be stored via Google Play?

Apps apps apps, I know there's a lot of cross-over in the mainstream apps and games like Angry Birds and Instagram. The former means I'll have to play all the levels again, (oh no, what a terrible thing that will be), but will my same Instagram/similar apps allow cross-device login, or will I lose all that was saved on the iOS device?

Can Mac/OS contacts be installed on Android devices? In fact, is there any integration with Mac apps at all for syncing?

I am sure I'll have more questions at a later date, I have two weeks before the Nexus 4 is arriving plenty of time to freak out about a big potential move.

Thanks in advance!

Hello
I've just snapped up a Nexus 4. Yay me.
Although I already have an iPhone 5, and have been with iPhone for a number of years. I haven't gone off the iPhone, but the Nexus 4 has been the first phone I've read about that seems to be comparatively as good as/better/equal to any of the iPhone variations I have been through.

Whilst I am not sure I will make the hard switch (which ever way I decide to go in the end, I can sell on, thank goodness for demand), I do need some tips as to how mu iOS habits can be retained in Android.

For example, here's my typical usage.
Phoning people, rarely.
Texting, rarer than that.

1. I take a LOT of photos. Due to integration with my iMac a lot of my iPhoto stuff gets onto my iPhone too with Photostream. Is Dropbox a good alternative to keep my photos as I'm going from a 64gb device to a 16gb device? Are there other methods, and what's the photo browsing like on 4.2?

2. Music-wise, due to work banning me from listening and me riding a scooter to work, I don't get a lot of commute/travel music done but I do like to use Spotify's offline playlists as well as the onboard music app. How does Android handle music play? I vowed no more CDs this year so buy everything digitally anyway, can content I bought in iTunes be stored via Google Play?

3. Apps apps apps, I know there's a lot of cross-over in the mainstream apps and games like Angry Birds and Instagram. The former means I'll have to play all the levels again, (oh no, what a terrible thing that will be), but will my same Instagram/similar apps allow cross-device login, or will I lose all that was saved on the iOS device?

4. Can Mac/OS contacts be installed on Android devices? In fact, is there any integration with Mac apps at all for syncing?

I am sure I'll have more questions at a later date, I have two weeks before the Nexus 4 is arriving plenty of time to freak out about a big potential move.

Thanks in advance!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!

i numbered your questions to make it easier to answer your post

1. i use dropbox a lot and on some devices you can set it up so that it will automatically be sent to dropbox with each picture taken. not sure what you mean by photo browsing. the gallery app is sufficient enough for me.

2. not sure on itunes, never had an account. but the play music app is awesome. i can listen to my music on the go without having to worry about card space as they are not on my card as it streams the music. you also have the choice to download them to the device as well. and i can sync it across all of my devices.

3. i think as long as you can log into your instagram account you should be fine.

4. not sure on the last one either. i do not own a mac so i have no idea how you can sync contacts and stuff like that.....sorry.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Music-wise, due to work banning me from listening and me riding a scooter to work, I don't get a lot of commute/travel music done but I do like to use Spotify's offline playlists as well as the onboard music app. How does Android handle music play? I vowed no more CDs this year so buy everything digitally anyway, can content I bought in iTunes be stored via Google Play?

All of my music are in MP3 format. I put them all on my phone and listen to them with the default music player on my SGS3. I'm not exactly sure about going from iTunes to Android, but I have imported songs from my collection to my wife's iTunes so she can listen to them on her iPhone. I don't use Google Play. I just put the songs on my phone's storage.

Can Mac/OS contacts be installed on Android devices? In fact, is there any integration with Mac apps at all for syncing?

Not sure about syncing. You will have to ask others. There is a way to get your contacts on your phone. You can export your contacts from your Mac and then import them into your Google account. This is probably the hard way for you if you still use a Mac and choose not to use your Google account as your primary repository for your contacts.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
For photo syncing I would suggest to use Instant Upload, a feature from Google+. It instantly uploads all photos you take to the cloud and you don't have to worry about losing them. I feel that this is a very good alternative.

Also do not worry because these photos are uploaded privately to the cloud so no one else can see them but you :)

Upvote 0
Can anyone help? I have just last week changed from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Last year I bought a suite of programs from Wind Solutions called Copytrans, I used Copytrans Contacts to backup all my sms messages ready to transfer to the new phone. Unfortunately (and unbelievably) it turns out that there is no way to restore the files at all not even back to an iPhone!

The backup created directories named with either the phone number or the contacts name and an equal amount of .html files. I have asked for help from the company and can't get a solution. So if anyone can tell me how to get my sms messages onto my Android phone I would be a happy bunny :D

Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!

well if you can copy the sms to an sd card then transfer ot to the note 2.......wait the iphoney does not have an sd card...........well not sure what you can really do here. i have no clue on what to do on apple's end. never own one of their products so i do not know. do you have icloud service? don't they backup sms?

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already exported to my local hard drive so all the directories and .html files I mentioned are just sitting in a directory on my desktop!

I do have iCloud but that doesn't seem to back up sms just the contacts :( But if there is a way to merge the directories and the .html files back into whatever format is needed for my Note 2 that would be cool....

And thank you it's good to be here....

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already exported to my local hard drive so all the directories and .html files I mentioned are just sitting in a directory on my desktop!

I do have iCloud but that doesn't seem to back up sms just the contacts :( But if there is a way to merge the directories and the .html files back into whatever format is needed for my Note 2 that would be cool....

And thank you it's good to be here....
Nobody have any ideas on this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones