• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving from iPhone to S2

Hi, I'm new to the world of Android but I'm considering upgrading my iPhone to the Galaxy S2. After some Googling I discovered this site and it seems like there's a great community here. I was wondering if the following questions could be answered:

1. I see there's a lot of battery posts. Is there a genuine issue with the battery? (I'm used to charging my iPhone every night so 18 hours of moderate use would be fine).

2. Is there any advice from previous iPhone users about adapting to Android after using iOS? Anything regrets or things you miss?

3. I know some touch screen devices are regarded as laggy and not as smooth as the iPhone. Is the S2 on par with the iPhone's responsiveness and multi-touch?

Thanks, I realise these may have been covered in other posts on the forum.

Welcome to the forums.

1. Never have an issue with the battery, I have a full charge phone by 5am, I got 40-30% by 8pm with moderate use, sometimes 20% when I play a lot of games.

2. Never had one personally but I do have some friends that have one, and we compare our phones. I feel I can do anything with my phone now, not dictating what I should do with my phone.

3. Based on comparing with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, imho the GS2 is more responsive to the iPhone.

Upvote 0
1. I see there's a lot of battery posts. Is there a genuine issue with the battery? (I'm used to charging my iPhone every night so 18 hours of moderate use would be fine).

I don't think there's an issue with the battery on the SGS2 at all. The thing is it's a very powerful smartphone and it will consume power. The battery could have a larger capacity, I guess, but for me it's not a problem at all: I always have charging facilities nearby and my phone has never completely run down on me.

2. Is there any advice from previous iPhone users about adapting to Android after using iOS? Anything regrets or things you miss?

My girlfriend has the iP4S and as far as I can tell the huge difference is my phone is hugely customizable. I think she changed her wallpaper, and that's pretty much it. But the Android OS overall, on a slick phone like the SGS2, is superb. The main advice I can give is to have an 'open mind' with the Android OS. But seriously, again, the slick OS, fast hardware and big brilliant screen make the SGS2 vastly superior...

3. I know some touch screen devices are regarded as laggy and not as smooth as the iPhone. Is the S2 on par with the iPhone's responsiveness and multi-touch?

No lag and it's silky smooth. And the bigger, and more lush, display just makes it better to work on. It was only yesterday I was using my phone on the table and everyone commented on it's amazing display that it distracted them and they just had to look at it. Then they use the phone and say how fast the thing is.

I can't make direct comparisons with the iP4S cause although my girlfriend has one I just don't care to use it.

The only negative she gave my phone is it's size. But for me it's the perfect size to hold and the big screen real estate makes it a productive item to use.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new to the world of Android but I'm considering upgrading my iPhone to the Galaxy S2. After some Googling I discovered this site and it seems like there's a great community here. I was wondering if the following questions could be answered:

Thanks, I realise these may have been covered in other posts on the forum.

If that's your 3 questions, then you can go get the SGS2.
1) Definitely no lousier than IPhone, and you have so many ways to increase it that the IPhone can't (unless jailbreak and even then??)

2) Will take some time to get used to it. But you won't believe the things you can do in terms of customization.

3) As good as IPhone. Unless you using somethings that takes up lots of juice. I am using Go Launcher with multi live wall paper meaning I can have different background for different screens. You can guess its a little slow when you first start it up from the lock screen, but I want to see the IP4 do that :p

Cheers

Upvote 0
Much as I love my SGS2 (also coming from an iPhone) there is one major disadvantage from my perspective.

Syncing between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone was a complete doddle. Plug it in and calendar, contacts, music were there at the click of a button in iTunes. It worked and it was easy. It was also simple to do full backups so you could wipe your phone, restore the backup and you were back exactly as before.

None of these things is easy in Android (although it is easier if you are happy to let Google have all your information) or even possible without rooting your phone (eg backups).

The SGS2 is a great phone and I would buy it again, but the terrible syncing and backup capability is something I have been very disappointed by.

Upvote 0
my only issue from switching from my iP4 was the familiarity with iOS versus android...aside from that, i love my SGS2. i wish my carrier was better but i really wanted the bigger screen, the lack of needing to JB to customize and i was just getting tired of iPhones...there will be some things you'll miss at first but then it'll go away. i charge my phone every 2 days...every 1.5 if i know i will be using it a lot the next day. even with the phone being bigger than the iP4, it is still comfy in my hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones