• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving location of Videos and Pictures folders to SD card

• Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date
A

Android Question

I have a Samsung T705 tablet which is rooted.

I also have some dumb apps (from Sony, for their FDR-1000V camera) which cam move videos from the camera only to the default Videos folder.

Due to lack of space in the main storage, I need to move this Videos folder to the SD card.

I have googled for hours and cannot find anything.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm sure it's not the answer you're looking for....And possibly one you are already well aware of.... But here goes:

you can move past videos onto sd card using any file manager app.

That won't change how your app processes future videos...you'll have to keep moving videos periodically as they accumulate

Upvote 0
Sure; I am a programmer and familiar with moving files.

I need to move the location of /storage/sdcard0/movies to ExtSDcard/...whatever.

I am pretty sure this needs a rooted device (which mine is). There is a mass of stuff on google about moving the Download location but that's different and maybe doable in the browser. Also the Pictures location can be configured in 3rd party camera apps. But Movies is tricky... the camera app can be configured for it but a dumb app which has been hard-coded for the default Movies location and - like most Sony phone apps - has no config, can't.

Upvote 0
Two results from google, probably you've already seen them.

1 - This shows how to change default download location from within settings on certain samsung tablets

2 - This xposed module thread discusses forcing everything to internal sd. Somehwere along the line was mention to go the other way by changing module settings: "Default is /storage/emulated/0 change it to /storage/extSdCard"

I have no idea if these will work for your specific device or if your specific app will respect the default (not if location is hardcoded within the app as I understood your suspicion)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I can just transfer the files manually from the internal storage (to which the Sony app writes them) to the ext SD card.

The issue would be if the internal flash storage doesn't have enough room. For example my 16GB T705 has only 8GB room internally, but 38GB on the extSDcard, and the latter can probably go to 128GB size (has anyone tested that?). Potentially I might want to transfer the whole 64GB camera card to the tablet, for editing.

Given the FDR-1000V camera, from which I need to move the videos, stores in max 4GB chunks (FAT32) on its SD card (currently this is 64GB) I could move one chunk at a time, maybe, just about, from the internal memory (8GB room) to the ext SD card.

But even then I need a video editor which can work on a user-specified folder (on the ext SD card) - any suggestions? (I need only simple functions: cutting stuff out, 180 deg inversion).

I can see the "usability committee" working here... we get the same under Windows where the Documents and Settings has been used to dump pics and videos as a default location for years, resulting in 90% of people not caring and being happy and 10% tearing their hair out because they can't find the stuff about five levels of directories below... The problem is that on a PC you have loads of storage whereas with a 16GB tablet the default storage locations are limited, and if some stupid people in Sony Marketing hard-code the app to use only that... and this is despite everybody knowing the camera they sell can hold 64GB whereas almost no client device has enough room!

FWIW, I think that the Sony app obtains the default path /storage/emulated/0/movies via the android API and not by it being hard coded. If it is the latter then any attempt to move the default location will obviously not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones