• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving My Data From Old Android Phone To New Android Phone?

The APKMirror site is likely to be safer or at least just as than Google's Play Store. APKMirror is much, much smaller in scale than the Play Store so it can check and verify each APK it hosts (On the other hand, the Play Store receives literally tens of thousands of app submissions each day worldwide so it would be a much more involved process to apply the same level of vetting each app individually. There simply are too many posts with bad intentions to screen out all of them.)
https://www.apkmirror.com/faq/#Safety_and_Security

Regarding those db files, those are the actual database files that apps use to store your data. Use the corresponding backup app to import those db files or if there is an Import option in the Notes app and the Contacts app on your new Optus phone try that.

Thanks!

Is there another way to backup my SMS messages and contacts etc without Google One? Is there another online way to do it?

Upvote 0
Well just to repeat, instead of spending so much time trying to find a modern solution to auto-magically make migrating your data from one very out-dated phone onto another very out-dated phone, just start doing a manual, copy-and-paste task to export your data from your old phone in manageable sections one at a time so you can import it to your new phone. The more you keep putting this off, the more the tech world will just continue moving on. It may be a daunting task to move things over manually, but you're lucky that nine year old Huawei phone is still in running condition. If it fails while you continue to waste time avoiding the inevitable, you could lose info that could have been saved.

Reactions: NewbAndroidUser
Upvote 0
Well just to repeat, instead of spending so much time trying to find a modern solution to auto-magically make migrating your data from one very out-dated phone onto another very out-dated phone, just start doing a manual, copy-and-paste task to export your data from your old phone in manageable sections one at a time so you can import it to your new phone. The more you keep putting this off, the more the tech world will just continue moving on. It may be a daunting task to move things over manually, but you're lucky that nine year old Huawei phone is still in running condition. If it fails while you continue to waste time avoiding the inevitable, you could lose info that could have been saved.

Thanks!

One thing I haven't mentioned is that the Huawei Backup App that allows me to backup my SMS messages, Google Chrome, Call Log, Notes etc to the microSD card says there is an update available. Should I install this update?

I'm just worried about installing the update and then not being able to backup my data to the microSD card...

Upvote 0
Use the Huawei Backup app as is, and if it works out, hopefully you will be able to import that data onto that Optus phone. If it doesn't work out, try applying that update and try again.
If that Huawei Backup app uses open, common file format standards for its backup files than it's more likely you'll be able to import data onto that Optus phone. If it uses a Huawei proprietary standard however, it's probably not going to work out -- in this case a Huawei to Huawei exchange is more likely to work but since you're using two different brands with two very low-resource, below-spec phones, all the time you're spending trying to find a 'quick and easy' solution could be spent just manually copying your data over in batches.

Upvote 0
Use the Huawei Backup app as is, and if it works out, hopefully you will be able to import that data onto that Optus phone. If it doesn't work out, try applying that update and try again.
If that Huawei Backup app uses open, common file format standards for its backup files than it's more likely you'll be able to import data onto that Optus phone. If it uses a Huawei proprietary standard however, it's probably not going to work out -- in this case a Huawei to Huawei exchange is more likely to work but since you're using two different brands with two very low-resource, below-spec phones, all the time you're spending trying to find a 'quick and easy' solution could be spent just manually copying your data over in batches.
Thanks!

I'm currently thinking of buying this App as it's compatible with Android 4.1.1:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro

What's your opinion?

Upvote 0
If there's enough free space on your Huawei to install the app (hopefully there is, the app's 'About this app' stats show it only requires 7 MB) try it it and see if it works out. Never tried it myself so no opinion so post your results here if it does what you need.

Thanks!

I just bought, installed it and I ran a backup using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro

The website is located here: https://www.rerware.com/Android-Backup/

By the way, is my new phone, the Optus X Start 3 really as outdated as you say? It seems like a huge upgrade from my current Huawei phone... :(

Upvote 0
That Optus model is already out-of-date and won't be able to interact with some of the current technology used in today's online services. It's a limited capacity model (1GB of RAM) and running not only an old version of Android but an old version of Android Go (Go being a stripped-down, limited functionality version of Android intended to be used only on old and low-end, bargain-class phones). So yes, it's newer than that Huawei but it's still outdated.
Of course my opinion is quite a bit jaded being in the U.S., depending on your locale and your neighbors, that Optus X Start 3 may or my not fit right in.

Upvote 0
That Optus model is already out-of-date and won't be able to interact with some of the current technology used in today's online services. It's a limited capacity model (1GB of RAM) and running not only an old version of Android but an old version of Android Go (Go being a stripped-down, limited functionality version of Android intended to be used only on old and low-end, bargain-class phones). So yes, it's newer than that Huawei but it's still outdated.
Of course my opinion is quite a bit jaded being in the U.S., depending on your locale and your neighbors, that Optus X Start 3 may or my not fit right in.

Thanks!

Well, I want to keep my new Optus Start 3 phone with as few Apps as possible. I'm planning on just using only these Apps: Chrome, Gmail, Google One.

I've been exclusively using Chrome on this Huawei and I can do 99% of what I want to do!

My phone is mostly used for making calls, SMS messages and Chrome.

The only other important feature is that I want to keep my Optus Start 3 phone as secure as possible and this is why I only want to install as few Apps as possible.

Upvote 0

New serious problem:
How can I check if the Android App "MyBackup Pro" I installed on my current Android 4.1.1 OS is also compatible with the new phone running Android R GO???

This is their official website, but I can't find an answer: https://www.rerware.com/Android-Backup/FAQ.aspx

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Have a look at Super Backup & Restore in the Playstore.

I've used it successfully many times, and It'll backup what you need except for the notes.

Thanks!

But I just checked and it only supports Android 5.0 and up and my original device is only running Android 4.1.1...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones