• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moving on..

Did they send u a free Samsung galaxy j3? just curious. We Will miss u curtis1973 that u for all your hard work

yeah they sent it free. i was expecting the htc desire 626 but they sent the galaxy j3 2016. its a really nice device. i wont be leaving like leaving. but wont be doing much outside of helping where i can. besides theres squat for this device because its so new.

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0
Let me know how you like the Galaxy j3 I was looking for a new device for my wife I was looking for something with more ram I see the j3 has 1.5gb ram she is a heavy APP user Facebook instagram and all thous other social media apps that just bog down her device no matter what I do to it.

Upvote 0
Well they just sent me a message on facebook asking me if i wanted "swag" suuuure. ill take some lol. phone arrived yesterday. its an ok device stock. to much google garbage though. can ger temp root but it loses it on reboot.
What are you using to get (temp) root? Better yet, what is it that causes it to lose root? When rooted, can that component be deleted or is there redundancy verifications in place?
Where you able to do/get a (complete) system dump? Take a look Wanam's Partitions Backup & Restore for some of "the other hidden" partitions.
As far as the Google crap, can't you edit the Opengapps to be ran as an update.zip?

Upvote 0
i actually keep root fine via kingroot. but i think its just using temp root because it fails with actual attempt but suggests alternative method that gives root. which is lost upon reboot. you can fully debloat and what not just fine via the temp method. im still getting used to the entire samsung way of doing things via odin,etc and trying not to trip knox during any root attempt. which i dont care about as long as i can get real root and not temp. then theres the matter of no custom recovery. so that adds an additional need for safety. brick land awaits if one thing is done wrong. there's a 5.1.1 sprint firmware available. i suspect it will work fine on this device because kingroot recognized it as SM-320P LTESPR even though its virgin mobile.

theres no boost or vm firmware. i think both use the sprint firmware.

the firmware is 1.2 GB in size so I suspect its the full rom.

Need to get that firmware extracted and build a pre rooted rom from it...

What are you using to get (temp) root? Better yet, what is it that causes it to lose root? When rooted, can that component be deleted or is there redundancy verifications in place?
Where you able to do/get a (complete) system dump? Take a look Wanam's Partitions Backup & Restore for some of "the other hidden" partitions.
As far as the Google crap, can't you edit the Opengapps to be ran as an update.zip?

Upvote 0
i actually keep root fine via kingroot. but i think its just using temp root because it fails with actual attempt but suggests alternative method that gives root. which is lost upon reboot. you can fully debloat and what not just fine via the temp method. im still getting used to the entire samsung way of doing things via odin,etc and trying not to trip knox during any root attempt. which i dont care about as long as i can get real root and not temp. then theres the matter of no custom recovery. so that adds an additional need for safety. brick land awaits if one thing is done wrong. there's a 5.1.1 sprint firmware available. i suspect it will work fine on this device because kingroot recognized it as SM-320P LTESPR even though its virgin mobile.

theres no boost or vm firmware. i think both use the sprint firmware.

the firmware is 1.2 GB in size so I suspect its the full rom.

Need to get that firmware extracted and build a pre rooted rom from it...
I took a gander @ your new fone & its pretty sweet! Congrats although I hate to see you go, your one of my fav's!

Upvote 0
Which device would be closest or best to use? I can help you port recovery. These are all MSM8916 Qualcomm 412 based devices:
  • Huawei G621
  • Alcatel OneTouch Pop 2
  • Yulong Coolpad 8860U
  • XOLO LT2000
  • Vodafone Smart Tab 4G
  • Vodafone Smart Prime 6 / Alcatel OT-7044K
  • Xiaomi Redmi 2
  • Lenovo A805e
  • Samsung Galaxy A3
  • Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
  • Samsung Galaxy A5
  • Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 SM-G7508Q
  • Samsung Galaxy J5
  • HTC Desire 510
  • HTC Desire 620
  • Huawei Ascend G7
  • Lenovo Vibe Z2
  • Huawei Ascend G620S
  • Huawei Ascend Y550
  • Vivo Y13L
  • Vivo Y27
  • HTC Desire 820q
  • Samsung Galaxy Ace Style LTE
  • LG F60
  • ZTE Q802D
  • Huawei Honor 4 Play
  • TCL P520L
  • Cubot Zorro 001
  • Samsung Galaxy Core Max
  • Samsung Galaxy Grand Max
  • ZTE V5 Max
  • ZTE V5S
  • Lenovo Sisley S90
  • BQ Aquaris E5 4G
  • Lenovo A6000
  • Yu Yuphoria
  • Motorola Moto E
  • Motorola Moto G
The recovery might be inside the boot.img (Samsung B.S. way of doing things) as an extra ramdisk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curtis1973
Upvote 0
Probably sticking with a Samsung to port recovery from would be a better choice. Hopefully less hiccups. I haven't looked, but which one has the most advanced development?
We get that figured, I just need a copy of your boot and recovery images. Then I can go from there.

As far as getting "temp" custom recovery, can flashing/install SAFESTRAP work until TWRP/PhilZ/etc is ported over?

Reactions: Curtis1973
Upvote 0
Probably sticking with a Samsung to port recovery from would be a better choice. Hopefully less hiccups. I haven't looked, but which one has the most advanced development?
We get that figured, I just need a copy of your boot and recovery images. Then I can go from there.

As far as getting "temp" custom recovery, can flashing/install SAFESTRAP work until TWRP/PhilZ/etc is ported over?

not sure. i will download the sprint firmware and grab the needed files from it. i think recovery may be in boot

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones