1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Moving Programs to sd card problem with jb 4.2.2

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mlk2, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mlk2

mlk2 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2012
    Hi

I recently got a new phone after my note 1. First thing I see is that I cant move my apps to my sd card.. my phone uses JB 4.2.2.

On my note 1 i could move every app but now apparently Samsung removed this feature.. Alright all is fine and dandy.. until I see my friend who has JB 4.3 and CAN move all apps to the SD card? Does JB 4.3 put this feature back?

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    The App2SD feature was removed by Google sometime soon after 2.2 - and almost certainly won't be coming back.

To be fair, because the internal storage is no longer split into (usually tiny) apps and (pretty big) general storage partitions, running out of space for apps isn't nearly so much of an issue as the entire internal storage space can now be used for them, if required. Consequently, the need for App2SD has pretty much disappeared - at least for nearly all mid to high end devices.

If you still want App2SD, there are 3rd party fixes that allow it, though I believe they all require rooting - see the root sub-section for your phone for more info.

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    What device did you get, so we can move this to the proper device section, I will move it now to the AL section, until you respond, cheers.

argedion and Unforgiven like this.
  4. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Samsung brought back the ability to move apps to the SD card on some of their phones. My Galaxy S4 can do it. I'm not sure if any of the other Manufacturers did. Google removed this ability in Android 4.0.

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah for some reason google let samsung "fork" android and re-impliment the feature, which is good imo. If you update to 4.3 you should get it on your n3 mate :thumbup:

6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    It's not a "fork", it's simply the OEM choosing to include a feature omitted from the reference OS implementation. Much like some including external microSD support, USB OTG, mass storage mode etc.

Choice is good, and Android gives it in spades. :)

7. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Yeah i think its good and "fork" is maybe a bit strong but would google let another (smaller) oem do that and include gapps? same with multiwindow

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The core Google apps are licensed seperately by the OEMs iirc, as they are propitiatory code rather than open source.

I don't actually think that Google have much say in the matter; they would be in a difficult position if they attempted to dictate how other fellow-members of the OHA used the source code.

That's really just a UI enhancement, similar to overlays such as Touchwiz and Sense, or Sony's 'SmallApps'.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    But cyanogen were warned by google not to implement a multiwindow type feature and apparently google could have blocked devices running CM from downloading from Play if they didnt comply. I think google do have to approve an OEMs firmware before they can legitimately include non-aosp google apps in it like Play etc.
    It wouldnt be good business for google to try and dictate to a huge firm like samsung though

10. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    I'm gonna go out on a wire and assume Google's issue with a multi-window feature is more about it's media partners copyright protection desires, ie all the music and movies it sells on its play store.

It's probably more isolated to simply banning all rooted devices than just banning CM devices but you never know these days as CM is positioning itself to make money on the platform Google is providing for free.

It's funny how Google's rapid rise to the top was fueled by hatred of the Microsoft dictatorship yet Google is now following in some very familiar footsteps..

11. mlk2

mlk2 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2012
    Alright so hopefully when I get JB 4.3 I will get back the feature. Thanks for the answers

12. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    They told them they wouldn't give Play Certification to Cyanogenmod devices (like the N1) if they did that because MultiWindow could (and definitely DOES) break certain apps and the way they function. As such, it would have serious compatibility issues and couldn't get their Play Certification (or is it Compatibility Certification?).

Not the case or they wouldn't even bother with the Nexus lines, which partially exist to be rooted and tinkered with, aside from being the premier Android experience. Otherwise, they'd go after OmniROM, ParanoidAndroid, etc. That issue was related to the Oppo N1 Cyanogenmod edition and multiWindow, since they wanted it to be certified to have GApps preinstalled and that requires compatibility checks that OmniROM would never pass (in all likelihood) with its splitview until certain app breakings were fixed.

Slug and funkylogik like this.