1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root moving the Dalvik cache wrong

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adrianatm, Jan 2, 2012.

1. adrianatm

adrianatm Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    Happy New Year!
    I have Desire to CM7. I have made ​​a mistake. I have moved the Dalvik cache on external card. Immediately I thought it's not ok. I moved it back in a second. With cut and paste. I mention that the free memory of the phone was less than the Dalvik cache.
    Then I made ​​the second mistake ... Even worse!
    The phone has been opened in Reboot and Recovery. Rushing me, I used shut down (or restart, I do not know).
    On screen appears only CM7. I don't can turn off, reboot or two keys use. Do not respond to any key.
    What to do? Please, help me!
    With gratitude,
    Adriana

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    What do you mean with cut and paste?

Have you wiped dalvik cache in recovery? This should rebuild it in the correct location.

adrianatm likes this.
  3. adrianatm

adrianatm Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply!
    I wiped the dalvik folder from internal memory ( not in Recovery; with a File Manager app) Then, I pasted the dalvik cache on external card. After that, thinking it's not ok, I did exactly the opposite. I moved back the dalvik cache on phone memory. Could it be moved to another location, not exactly in the location where was it but sure in phone memory.
    I suppose what happened. At restart, the system tried to rebuild dalvik cache, but there was no space.
    When the phone restarted, in the Reboot mode, I don't clicked on restore. I clicked on shut down.
    My phone does not receive any command from any key or key combination.
    Help, please!

4. adrianatm

adrianatm Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    I remind that available memory size was smaller than the Dalvik cache folder.

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You can't move the dalvik cache just by moving the folder - the OS won't understand that. You need to be using an a2sd script (such as DarkTremor) which supports this option (moves the dalvik folder to an ext-formatted partition on your sd card and puts a link to this in the phone's internal memory). If you don't understand what I said there, read the root memory FAQ, which you can find by following the red link in my sig (or the "all about rooting" sticky thread).

So, the simplest thing to try now is to get into recovery. Pull the battery out to shut the phone down. Re-insert and then boot while pressing the volume down key. Follow the menu to get into recovery.

Once in recovery, wipe the dalvik cache (it's in the "advanced" menu for ClockworkMod, don't know about Amon Ra). Then reboot the phone and see if that has fixed it.

If that doesn't do it, how recent are your backups? If you took a nandroid before starting this (usually a good idea before fiddling with system stuff) then restoring that would be a simple way of fixing this.

If you've got a "dead" copy of the dalvik cache taking up space in internal you may need to delete that. A nandroid restore would do this. Otherwise a factory reset, but you lose data if you don't have recent backups. If you could boot into android it would be easy to remove just the space-wasting folder, but while I can think of a couple of ways of wiping the whole internal memory with android not running (from recovery or using fastboot) I can't offhand think of a way of removing just one folder. So if your theory as to what is wrong here is correct (and it sounds quite possible) you may need to do this.

The good news is that the phone is recoverable - it's just a matter of trying to minimise hassle and data loss.

adrianatm likes this.
  6. adrianatm

adrianatm Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    It worked! Many thanks and ... Happy New Year!

Tags: