• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moxier mail polling mode not updating properly

gamorg02

Nov 23, 2009
Hey all quick question

for those of you running moxier mail on exchange with a polling mode, have you ever noticed it doesn't successfully always update? I am seeing that at times i will set it to a 1 hour polling mode for example but it won't bring down new emails. If i notice on the moxier settings page the last synch'd time is further back than the polling interval i'll hit 'synch now' and it ALWAYS brings down any new messages.

I contacted moxier and they seem to think its an issue with my server. I should also say my IT department doesn't support moxier/android explicitly but there is no reason it shouldn't work as designed they say.

I have dug into the moxier logs and it seems that everytime i see a failure the following similar entries appear to be in the logs:

12-17 19:34:33.915|W|SyncEngineService|Cannot start service - Network is not alive.
12-17 19:34:33.577|I|SyncEngineService|Service started... com.moxier.mail.intent.action.STOP_SYNC_ENGINE
12-17 19:34:32.225|E|IntentReceiver|Network disconnected...
12-17 19:09:24.552|I|SyncEngineService|Service started... com.moxier.mail.intent.action.RESTART_SYNC_ENGINE
12-17 19:07:50.068|I|SyncEngineService|Service started... com.moxier.mail.intent.action.RESTART_SYNC_ENGINE

or very similar error messages. Whats interesting to me is that it thinks the network is down. From what i can gather I think either 1. me using the phone and an update interval taking place allows an update to finally synch in, or 2. if the command:

12-17 18:57:45.517|I|SyncEngineService|Service started... com.moxier.mail.intent.action.TRIGGER_WAKEUP

finally is shown. as everytime a 'trigger_wakeup' entry is shown after a long stream of restart/stop synch_engine messages it works fine from the logs standpoint.

anyways wondering if anyone else is seeing this or it might truly be my server.

I do, have it set to push though. I'm not convinced that push is worse for battery life than polling mode (albeit that's another thread...). Sorry I can't be more useful to your discussion.

yea i'm still seeing if push is bad for battery. i don't need immediate updates but every hour or half hour is good for me and i gotta imagine it saves battery only having it pull that often. i've opened up another case with moxier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones