1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mozilla Firefox Beta Detailed Review

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by SHMaRiM, Mar 4, 2011.

1. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM Member

I've had this app since it first came out. Thought I'd write a little review and then link you to where you can vote to fix the only major problem I've found.

Pros:

• Fast! Seems much faster than "stock" internet app
    • Customization and Add-ons! Ability to add personas (skins). Also able to add features such as adblocker (blocks ads:p), Tapsure (tapping a rhythm for password instead of entering in text every time), NoScript (web security)...etc.
    • EASY navigation! Hidden slide out tabs bar (easily close tabs). Hidden slide out bar with back/forward buttons, settings, and favorites.
    • Supports many full versions of sites that the normal browser does not (even with "mobile view" unselected).
    • Downloads, site options (find in page, save as pdf), Add-ons, and preferences appear when "MENU" is clicked on phone.
    • Lots of preference options for further browser customization and performance tweaking.
    Cons:

• I've noticed some annoying problems with the text input on certain pages. At first the cursor was jumping and was causing me to type jumbled words, however, I'm pretty sure they fixed that since it no longer happens. Also some forums and such don't allow you to enter text in reply box unless "advanced reply" is pressed. Then on advanced reply page I've noticed when in the text box the screen zoom continuously changes and makes it VERY distracting to type.
    So other than some text issues I think this app is MONEY!

Here is a link where you can vote to fix forum text issues...

Forums on Mobile Beta

westuh and Darkseas like this.
  2. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member

That was a helpful review, but I wish you had your brand/model of phone and its version of the OS in your profile or your post.

My understanding is that Firefox works best in Froyo (2.2). I only have 2.1, so I'm waiting to upgrade, but as a long-time Firefox user on the desktop, I'd dearly love to have it on my phone. So it would have been helpful to know if you're 2.2 or 2.1!

3. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM Member

Android 2.2 HTC Evo Shift (rooted)

4. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Android Expert

Thats a good review and thats very true. A different issue is its large size as its quite big for an application.

Firefox will be popular and probably the best browser on Android when its out of beta.

5. Epicurean

Epicurean Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the review, it sounds very encouraging. But I've learned my lessons on using beta browsers. Right now the stock browser is good enough. When the final Firefox is released I will def. try it out.

Robbin likes this.
  6. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

I'm clearly doing something wrong because I can't seem to install any add-ons. I tried AdBlocker and NoScript per the above review and it tells me they are not compatible. Last time I played with Fennec, I went through the same thing. Please explain how I can get all the add-on goodness I have on my desktop WITHOUT incompatibility hassles.

On the plus, though Swiftkey force closes in Firefox, at least Firefox isn't FC-ing like Fennec used to.

7. weaselaow

weaselaow Member

have build in flash like skyfire ?

8. hbimajorv

hbimajorv Member

I've been a Firefox Guy for years now really hoping mozzilla gets this right. Dolphin is cool but I want this. I hope they add flash like skyfire I have an optimus and no chance of flash. Also be cool to link with my PC Firefox share bookmarks and links and such.

9. wjohns024

wjohns024 Lurker

I've tried Firefox, Opera, and Dolphin Browser HD. The only one worth using is Dolphin on my HTC G2

10. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM Member

Flash is built in...

11. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Didn't even know this existed! Definitely trying it out now! Thanks man!

Edit :: pft can't even find it in the market.

12. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Here you go

Download Firefox 4 beta

[​IMG]
    Firefox 4 beta for Android is now available.

1. Check the system requirements below. This beta is available for ARMv7 only, and requires Android 2.0 or higher.
    2. If you installed Firefox 4 beta 2 or earlier, please uninstall Firefox before installing the latest version. This will erase your profile. (This is because of a one-time change; future updates will not require you to uninstall and reinstall Firefox.)
    3. Point your phone's web browser to firefox.com/m
    If you have trouble installing Firefox from the Android Market link on that page, see this support article for help.

Howdie! likes this.
  13. barqers

barqers Android Expert

I tried, it can't find it in the marketplace :(

Probably hidden. Galaxy Apollo 3 isn't supported, is it?

14. I had Firefox 3.0b5 installed. And it was going like molasses. Terrible! I was ready to decide Firefox was a non-starter on Android. Then I read your post, DonB. And I followed your procedure. For good measure I restarted the phone (N1/2.2.1) before I installed 4.0b5. And – HOORAY! – this version is running MUCH faster! My first impression is that it's a bit faster than Dolphin HD.
    So thanks, DonB!

15. sookster54

sookster54 Android Expert

IMO Dolphin Mini is still tops.

16. boster

boster Newbie

How do I make Firefox the default browser? When I do a search (via the search button, for example), when I click on a link it opens the stock browser. How do I have it open Firefox instead?

-boster

17. farizkhalid

farizkhalid Lurker

i've just installed firefox 4 beta for android into my htc desire Z.. like we can see in Dolphin Browser,if we want to close the browser,just go to menu then select "exit". but in this firefox 4 beta, i'm not sure how to close it. anyone here can help me to solve this?

18. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

You don't ever need to close it. Android will do it automagically if it needs the memory for other purposes.

farizkhalid likes this.
  19. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast

I'm trying to remember the exact location (I don't have my phone in front of me right now) but I think it's Settings->Applications or somesuch, select the stock browser, when the info on that comes up there will be a button that says "clear default" or similar, press that button. Then the next time you go to open a link (or use browser for anything) a selection dialog will come up and you can select which browser you want to use. You can also select whether to make that selection the default from then forward. I don't have a default set, I use the stock browser for some pages and Opera Mini for others (I haven't tried Dolphin yet, but I probably will soon).

boster likes this.
  20. boster

boster Newbie

Thanks, TRS-80. That's it!

(Does it date me that I know what a TRS-80 is?)

-boster

21. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast

Glad I could help out. Alright, got my first thanks! Woo hoo! Thanks for the thanks!

(and yes, lol) But hey, I guess that dates me too!

I have been tinkering with computers and stuff for a long time now, I started programming my first TRS-80 in BASIC in about third grade, hence the moniker. That's why I'm so excited about the Android platform, it's not as locked down as some others, and lots of room for tinkering. :) It kind of reminds me of those fun old frontier days when computers were new. :)

22. boster

boster Newbie

So Firefox is slow for me. Typically takes 2 or 3 times as long to load a page from a link as the stock browser takes, for example.

When I first started ff it told me my device is not supported. I can take a hint, but I'm surprised based on requirements stated uh in this thread.

I've got:
    • Moto Droid 1
    • Rooted (though I've done almost nothing with that)
    • Android version 2.2.2
    • Build FRG83G
    • Firefox 4.0b5 (no prior versions have been installed)
    • Processor ARMv7 rev 3 (v7l)

I'm technically fairly competent but I'm a noob in the android world. Am I missing something? I know, ff told me my device isn't supported, but why not? I see in this thread that ARMv7 and Android 2.2 are required, and I've got 'em.

Why don't I qualify? Is it slow because "my device isn't supported", or because of something else?

-boster

23. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM Member

There was recently an update to the Firefox mobile beta... much better!

24. boster

boster Newbie

Good news that it's faster for you, SHMaRiM. Sadly, the new one is still slower for me.

-boster