• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MP3 player with visualizations...none exist????

I don't think Android has an app like this , It would be nice to have though I agree , especially as the Stock Media player is pretty basic
rudolf.gif

Upvote 0
Please stop posting.

The GPU has nothing to do with rendering the visualizations since its all 2D. The crappy LG chocolate even has an mp3 player with visualizations and its hardware sucks. Reality is not what you make believe it is or what you "think" it is. People like you are a big problem with online forums. Just please stop posting.

That was pretty rough......

Please keep it nice , The OP was merely posting what they think / Their opinion.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if the Android API has support for audio visualizations, at least none that would sync with the audio that is playing. I had an idea for an app that was essentially a visualization for audio coming in through the mic, but I'm not finding any API controls that give you access the raw audio information (frequency/tone, volume level, etc.). I haven't read through the whole API yet so it might be buried somewhere in there.

I did find an app called "FaceIT" which claims to work off audio input from the mic, but I think it's tied to the speech recognition API so that wouldn't work for an audio player visualizer.

At this point I think the only option would be something that draws randomly without regard for the music that is currently playing.

Upvote 0
They just released the API update for 2.1. I didn't see anything in the update notes that would allow for the creation of audio playback visualizations. If it's in the API, i can't find it. I'm just a novice programmer, but I would think you need something that can return either the frequency/tone being played in order to render a visualization as the frequency/tone of each beat changes. Here is the description of the "Media" API (which is where I think this support would be):
"Provides classes that manage various media interfaces in audio and video. The Media APIs are used to play and, in some cases, record media files. This includes audio (e.g., play MP3s or other music files, ringtones, game sound effects, or DTMF tones) and video (e.g., play a video streamed over the web or from local storage).
Other special classes in the package offer the ability to detect the faces of people in Bitmaps (FaceDetector), control audio routing (to the device or a headset) and control alerts such as ringtones and phone vibrations (AudioManager). "

It may be buried in the API somewhere, but I think if it was, someone would have created it by now.

As for the live wallpaper in the video, my only guess is that:

A: It's actually a video file playing a pre-recorded visualization with the audio.

B: They are using the "speech to text" function to generate a visualization (i.e. each word that it thinks is being said represents a different wave form in the visualization).

Not sure if B can be run against an mp3 file, so the answer is more likely A.

I don't know why this wouldn't be something built into Android, but it looks like we'll have to wait for an update before we get MP3 visualizers.

If I'm wrong and someone knows of a way to do this, please let me know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones