1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MP3 Ringtone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saptech, Dec 16, 2013.

1. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I know this is the Moto X thread, but I can't figure out how to make a mp3 song as my phone's ringtone. Since I have a Moto G, I thinking to create it would be similar.

Any ideas how to make mp3s ringtones? I can't figure it out on the G. I tried using ES File Explorer but not seeing it.

Thnx.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Generally, putting any recognized sound file, including mp3 files, in a folder called "ringtones" will make it available in the ringtone picker, in a folder called "notifications" for the notification tone pickers, or "alarms" for the alarm tone picker will work. What I do is (using an app like ES File Explorer, but you can do this from your computer if you have connected to the phone) is to create a folder called "media", then folders called "ringtones", "notifications", and "alarms" inside the "media" folder, then places the sound files where appropriate.

Notice that the folder names are plural - "ringtones", "notifications", "alarms" - with no spaces after the name.

Let us know if that works...

Zenwafer, alfick3 and saptech like this.
  3. saptech

saptech Android Expert

It turns out I do have those folders you mention, but I didn't have any Music Player installed. I went ahead and installed a music player and now able to choose mp3s as a ringtone without moving them.

Thnx. for your help!

4. Since the subject is Moto G I moved this thread from the Moto X forum to the Moto G forum.

... Thom

5. silverwolf109

silverwolf109 Lurker

Hi, I need to jump in here because I am beginning to think I am more ignorant than ever. I have the basics down, as far as getting custom ringtones...but the problem I am having is that the instructions say to create folders on the pc and so on, but it doesn't say how to transfer them to the phone. Can someone please post how to set up custom ringtones for a Moto G, step by step including the actual transfer from the pc to the phone? You wouldn't believe how many forums and articles I have looked at, and not one of them has the exact sequence to do this. Thank you very much. Even the PDF Moto G manual doesn't do this.

6. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I transfer my mp3s from the computer to my phone using the USB cable that came with the phone. I'm not sure about folders on the computer. I keep songs on the computer in a Music folder, same for Pictures etc.

Just copy them from your computer to the phone's ringtone folder and then it should work.

doogald, post explains it pretty good!

7. silverwolf109

silverwolf109 Lurker

Thanks...I accidentally figured out the ringtones..I think. I wound up dragging and dropping onto the device on my pc, and it worked. The next situation I have run into is trying to copy downloaded wallpapers, and the drag and drop idea is not working for that. For some reason, I am also having trouble trying to sync everything together...it keeps telling me it is unavailable...is that a carrier thing?

8. Slaiyen

Slaiyen Member

It may not Sync over 3G to save data, connecting to a WiFI network will allow it to sync or you'll need to Manually Sync by going into Settings then Accounts click the Account you wish to Sync then you should see settings icon press that and press Sync Now.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews