1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MP3's/WMA's with artwork in file folder -artwork doesn't show on my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DCUltrapro, Apr 21, 2020.

1. DCUltrapro

DCUltrapro Member

Hi guys,

I just bought a Samsung S20Plus and am trying to get settled on it with my music etc, I've moved everything over which is a mixture of MP3 and WMA etc, 90% of the music files have artwork attached and when you view the individual track thumbnails in the medium setting, the artwork is clearly visible. However when I move them to my new S20Plus about 10% of the artwork is actually carried over. Is this a file format issue? I tried different music playing apps and the same result occurred.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

#1 DCUltrapro, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

They do not work together.
    Windows stopped making phones.

mikedt likes this.
  3. DCUltrapro

DCUltrapro Member

urm.. ok that's not at all what I was asking. I will attempt to clarify what I mean. So I have a new Samsung Galaxy S20+, and I've copied lots of music to it, however for whatever reason a large majority of the music doesn't display the album art. I did some googling and one of the solutions was to use Windows Media Player to update the album art for the music files, which I have done. So now on my pc, the songs all appear to have associated album artwork which can be seen when viewing medium or higher thumbnails for all the music files.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to get all of my album art to display in my music player on my new phone. On my old experia for example, there was a feature/service you could use to update the music info including album art, built into the xperia music app. But obviously there is nothing like that on the samsung. So I was wondering if there was any way to get the album art to display for all songs. I've heard some possible solutions involve converting all files (AAC or WMA) to mp3, however tonnes of the music files are MP3 already but they also have the same issue. So I was hoping someone could advise on a way to fix this

4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

As far as I know WMA files have always been proprietary
    Windows devices only.
    I could be wrong though. I totally embraced MP3.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

AFAICT Android devices don't usually support WMA with their stock players, mainly because they wont do Microsoft software patent licensing $$$.

OP is it only the WMA files that are having the problem on your S20? Of course I don't use Windows myself, so may not be able to help much more. However try Foobar2000, as that can play and use WMA.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. DCUltrapro

DCUltrapro Member

No I have mentioned that the majority of my music is MP3 and yet the artwork for those still doesn't appear on the phone. I'm happy to convert WMA's to MP3 if I have to but I was trying to explain that, even a large majority of the MP3's with artwork aren't working, the album art isn't appearing on the phone. Its not JUST the WMA files

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

How are you transferring your music files to your S20 Plus? Things like embedded artwork and text are directly tied to each file's metadata (file format type isn't the issue to focus on). Every time you're transferring files between your phone and your computer, you may only see the sanitized GUI actions but in the background there's an involved compatibility issue as different operating systems rely upon different file systems to store their files/folders -- your phone uses ext4 as its file system, a microSD card will default to either Microsoft's FAT32 or exFAT, and you WinPC will most likely be using NTFS. All three store metadata differently (with FAT32/exFAT being the most deficient) so depending on just how you did the file transfers and just which media player apps you're using, along with if your audio files are being stored on the internal storage or microSD card, all those variables will be a factor in how the metadata is or isn't retained.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus release date was 6 March. Features and Specs include a 6.7" inch screen, 64MP camera, 12GB RAM, Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4500mAh battery.

6 March
Release Date
Reviews