1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Mr First Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pwannell, May 14, 2011.

1. pwannell

pwannell Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    OMG This phone is proper proper quick. The phones screen is pretty damn amazing, and am loving the fact that there really is ultimate flexibility on the layout of icons. I must say after having many many phones this has to be the best yet, the Camera is top quality and so is the video recording. Sonos works a dream on it and just OMG! Love it. I download apps from the market place at blistering speed, whilst my gf's HTC Desire is still thinking about whether to download it or not. hehe!!! I got it out the packaging without the battery in and thought mmmm this is somewhat tacky feeling, however put the battery in the phone and immediately the phone has just the right weight to it. Not heavy in any way but feels like a solid piece of kit, and really classy.

Few things I can't however get my head round if someone could help me out a tad. I thought the phone had facial recognition unlock, this I cannot appear to get working. I would also like to not have blinking Vlingo start up every time I double press the home button. Having an iPad its kind of second nature to use that function to switch applications now and it's driving me nuts keep bringing up voice control. :-(

Would like some advice on presence too, coming from an n900 I was able to have my contact on my home screen with a green amber or red circle at the bottom of their picture, clearly showing if I could IM them or contact them or not! I see no way of having this on the SGSII.

Lastly is notification lights, ideally I would like a blue flashing light on the screen when its locked just to notify me of a new message or missed call.

Apologies for being a complete numpty with the questions but I had just mastered Meamo, now im on android and its VERY different. :-D

Advertisement

2. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Hmmm well I just had a look and if you hold down on any homescreen, then choose shortcuts, you can then choose contacts>then choose a contact to stick them on the homescreen, or you can choose direct message/dial and then a contact to do the same with that feature.

3. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    I just bought the S2 today - what a thing of beauty.

Came from a big iPhone user to Android, and I feel like I've been reborn. Anyone with handy advice, links to threads/articles that explain how things work etc. so that I familiarize myself to this new world? Likewise for the Samsung UI stuff?

Thanks

4. M@r]{

M@r]{ Newbie
    None

May 12, 2011
    UK
    Just downloaded an App that may help with your lack of notification issues - search for NoLed. Its pretty good so far. Even uses the proximity sensor so that when the phone is in your pocket it turns off the led notification to save battery power :)

5. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    Almost bought one from cpw today, but still have some questions before I make the move.
    Been thinking hard about what I use most on the iphone4 (games, apps etc) and trying to find equivalents. I've had android twice before but always go back to the iPhone.

Nice to see a couple of iPhone folks making the switch and being happy with it.

One silly question: I travel quite a bit and like the little feature on the iPhone photo gallery where you can see world map with pins for all the photo locations. Is there an app on android for this?
    Has the music app improved at all? Last time I used the desire I bought a complilation album from Amazon mp3 and it split it into over 20 separate albums because it didn't understand the different artists.
    One of the previous posters has an iPad too (same as me) - so if I'm missing any apps or games, i still have that to fall back on..

If sammy play their usual game, the galaxy s2 will be

6. croc9968

croc9968 Member
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Just come from a HTC Hero and I'm still getting used to the SGII. There's so much to like about this phone but if I could choose between Touchwiz and sense....then Sense would win I'm afraid. The design of the widgets are better and so much more intuitive.....should I have waited for the Sensation? Who knows.....

7. zafonic

zafonic Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    England
    Touchwiz may well grow on you in time. You have a great phone....i am envious.

8. retrorom

retrorom Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    I come from Hero too, try ADW Launcher EX it is really customizable..., you can change how many icons are in rows and columns change font size custom icons etc etc. I don't use TouchWiz, don't like it.

9. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK
    After the Nokia smart phones I chose a Samsung tocco over the original Iphone which turned out to be one heck of a bad mistake. that phone was dogmeat so no surprise I went for the 3GS Iphone when that contract term ended. Now 18 months later I dared to venture back to Samsung and whilst it hasnt been the sunniest reception , Samsung have come along leaps and bounds.

It is a stunning piece of kit let down by a few niggling design flaws. But less about that as here are plenty of threads on the issues.
    the screen is sharp and crystal clear , the sound is loud and clear, the OS is perfectly customizable just to my taste. Really hoping my replacement phone tomorrow fares better than my current one.

10. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    I'm interested to see your findings on that.

11. smurfphoner

smurfphoner Lurker
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    I'm new to smartphones (period). haha;)

12. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i also wish i could change the double-home button setting.. although u just long press the home button and u can switch between apps. and i dont think the SGS2 has facial recognition..apart from that, yeah i know wat ur feeling, i was loving it too when i first got it out of the box (still am!)