• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MS Excel Paste Function on Note 3

frcrilly

Lurker
Dec 20, 2013
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Note 3. Before I do, I need to know how text from the internet pastes to MS Excel on a Note 3.

Can I ask Note 3 with MS Excel users to do the below quick experiment.

1. Go into this link.
Stock Screener - Quotes ta_unusualvolume option o10

2. Copy the list of data on the second half of the page. (ie. the bit beneath “View, Change Only , Full with Relative Volume”)

3. Paste the data to MS Excel hitting Right Click, Paste Special and Text.

4. Post a reply with a Print Screen of the result. Alternatively, can you inform me if the data results in one excel column being occupied or more than one (five) excel columns being occupied. (ie on the horizontal axis, is one column highlighted or are more than one (five) highlighted?).

All assistance will be greatly appreciated. (Please feel free to post your result no matter how many previous responses there are).

Thanks In Advance for all Responses.

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Note 3. Before I do, I need to know how text from the internet pastes to MS Excel on a Note 3.
Same as on Excel from 95 to the current version - it depends on how the site was written.

All assistance will be greatly appreciated. (Please feel free to post your result no matter how many previous responses there are).
I'm on a laptop right now, and getting the Note 3 on, running a browser (you didn't specify which one - it makes a difference), etc., would be a bit of a bother, but I spent about 7 years doing exactly this sort of thing from various websites (some once a day, some once a week, a few of the worst ones once a year, to my great relief), and I can tell you the easiest way to do it.

Copy the data on the site. Paste into Word, not into Excel. If the data doesn't paste as a table, convert text to table, and make the table look the way you want it. Copy the table and paste it into Excel.

(And trust me, some sites are written so badly that "make it look the way you want" almost amounted to printing the many, many pages and typing them into Excel by hand. The ONLY thing that saved me from that was when I told the client how much it would cost per hour, how many hours it would take, and how cheaply he could get it done, overnight, by some Chinese companies. They can enter thousands of pages of data - in English - in one night, for what amounts to pennies.)

It's a lot easier than it sounds, it's just a bit "crampy" working with large data sets on a small screen. (I used 2 24" monitors, one for Word, one for Excel, and a 19" for the web browser. Made it a snap.)

Some sites pasted right into Excel, column for column. Some pasted as one column, so I used the Word trick. Some pasted into Word as text, some as tables.

Remember, with CSS, the text can be scattered all over the page, yet it can be made to look like a table. Some web "developers" actually do nonsense like that. (Probably less from malice than from not really knowing what they're doing.)

And in some browsers, a link to a text file, which looks like text on the web page, copies as the link, not the text, so you have to go to THAT page and copy the text.

Standards are wonderful things - it's just sad that we don't have any on the web.

Reactions: frcrilly
Upvote 0
running a browser (you didn't specify which one - it makes a difference)

I think this is the answer I was looking for. I have just experimented with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox (on my laptop).

Internet Explorer pastes the data into one column. Google Chrome and Firefox paste it into five columns.

Thanks Rukbat. I have asked about this on Excel Help forums and no-one identified the problem.

I now need clarification (from anyone out there) that the data splits into more than one column on a Note 3 when using Google Chrome or Firefox.

(Again, thanks in advance for all responses).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones