• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MS Exchange: Push or Pre-Set Time?

Monsignor

Jun 29, 2010
Hi all-

Out of curiosity is there any battery savings (or other inherent savings) in using a pre-set time to check Exchange email vs. Push? For example my corporate email is Exchange and my BlackBerry is set to push; on my N1 I have it set-up to check every 10 minutes. Would using Push decrease my battery life? Decrease my RAM? Any other downsides?

On the flip side - are there any advantages to enabling Push?

Thanks in advance!

Push - your email will arrive instantly (maybe before your PC)

Pull - your email arrives every so often, depending on when you set it to pull.

I have always felt a minimal increase in battery drain on Push, depending on how many emails you get per day. If you constantly have emails coming it, it will drain your battery.

To stop this, I use Settings Profile during the day to stop email Push from occurring while I am at work.

Reactions: Monsignor
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I am a remote employee for my company (I office out of my house) so I am rarely tied into the network (VPN)... I have been using a 10 minute interval but might try Push to see what differences there might be on battery life. As far as volume is concerned - I probably get 15-40 per day... not heavy at all.

Thanks for the insight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones