• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MS Silverlight for Droid Turbo

Amy mcbride

Lurker
Jan 26, 2016
I don' t think my last post took.

My video website requires MS Silverlight to play them. I have searched and gone to many links that have shown the app for droid, but when go to page the actual download link doesn't work, or a list of other downloads come up instead.

I am not sure if SL only works on MS platforms or not. When I went to their site the error, not compatible, came up.

However, Softonic does have a link that says 'download Silverlight for Android', but you click on it and just other programs show.

Any actual URL that can be found would be hugely helpful

Thanks,
Amy

I just spoke to MS and they say they did not implement this after all..ugh!!

Thx

I don' t think my last post took.

My video website requires MS Silverlight to play them. I have searched and gone to many links that have shown the app for droid, but when go to page the actual download link doesn't work, or a list of other downloads come up instead.

I am not sure if SL only works on MS platforms or not. When I went to their site the error, not compatible, came up.

However, Softonic does have a link that says 'download Silverlight for Android', but you click on it and just other programs show.

Any actual URL that can be found would be hugely helpful

Thanks,
Amy

Upvote 0
MS Silverlight is showing up less and less online these days, support for it has faded dramatically. Also, most browsers in the mobile environment are focused on HTML5 so multimedia content can be played without any need for plugins or extensions. Even on desktops, modern browsers are moving away from the older NPAPI plugins (Netscape Plugin API). Firefox for example still does but even Mozilla has indicated a move away from NPAPI. Chrome already dropped support for NPAPI in favor of Google's PPAPI (Pepper Plugin API) so Silverlight isn't even a factor.

MS Silverlight and Adobe Flash are both becoming dated technology, you might want to look into changing your site to support HTML5 instead.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/219370/From-Silverlight-To-HTML5

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

Upvote 0
Microsoft still releases sporadic security updates for Silverlight version 5, the scheduled End-of-Life being a ridiculously long Oct. 2021. Mozilla will be dropping support for NPAPI plugins the end of this year so as far as the major browsers that will leave Safari as one of the last ones to even be able to use the Silverlight plugin. But in a practical sense the number of sites that still rely solely on Silverlight are pretty rare.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
BTW, it would need to work on Windows and Droid, and I guess on Safari, though my iPad got crushed to death...thx

Wow, lots of good info. I will have to find another way to convert the site, and I am not a coder at all.

Any recommendations as to a good and easy website builder?

I never really cosmetically finished mine which is www.morgandymedia.com. would like one not as complicated as Joomla.

Thanks so much!
Amy

Upvote 0
So after scanning your site you're apparently using Joomla as your CMS with Bluehost as your web hosting service, yes? Above all you should migrate away from Silverlight to deliver your video content, it's just not a forward-looking technology. I have some friends that are firm Drupal advocates but like Joomla it has a pretty committed learning curve. Both have extensive feature sets but if you're looking to simplify things have you given thought to WordPress? It has a user-friendly web builder and will host your site for free, with pay-for extras if you want to expand the capabilities of your site.
http://websitesetup.org/cms-comparison-wordpress-vs-joomla-drupal/

I agree, take a look at BlueGriffon. It doesn't have the feature set and power of Adobe's Dreamweaver but it's an Open Source, standards compliant web editor that's available for different operating systems so you can bounce from one computer to another even if they're running different operating systems. (Note that with the Windows version when installing it to pay close attention to uncheck ad-related crap, otherwise it's reported to do things like mess with your default home page.) The WYSIWYG interface makes it easier to support a web site, and you can still view the underlying code if you want to go that route. Using your own editor you can still stay with Bluehost too. (Looking through Bluehost's site it also has a 'web builder' page of it's own.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones