• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MTP driver issue

Hi mrhomiec.

I checked Windows my program installation list, and Samsung Kies and Samsung USB driver for Mobile Phones is installed.

I just did the suggestion by holding in the power switch on my unplugged S3 until I got the menu and choose "Power Off". Then plugged in cord to connect the phone to the computer and after a moment the batter charge picture appeared in the screen.

I powered up the phone and nothing happened as far as connecting. I waited until the phone was fully booted up, then reseat the USB and still nothing, except the usual charging tone in the phone.

But I do appreciate the suggestion more than you know.

Reactions: mrhomiec
Upvote 0
Ok, I think I have a cord problem.

My buddy was on his way out the door from work and I stopped him to borrow his Samsung cord. I plugged it in my phone and Windows detected it on my laptop and brought up the automatic run dialog box, which normally comes up when an external disk is inserted.

I didn't have time to check if it's all working because he had to go (with his cord) but I'd bet everything will work when I secure a new wire.

Upvote 0
My S3 had the same issue when I tried to connect to my daughter's XP machine a few days ago. I had installed Kies and the drivers from scratch, but the driver installation kept failing. Also, the phone kept giving me a message that a piece of software was missing, but I kept ignoring it. Turns out that the software was Microsoft Media Center version 11 or later. Once I installed that on her computer, both Kies and the USB connection worked just fine.

Upvote 0
Hi, I did not have problems at home windows 7 32 and at work windows xp connecting with my S3 from T-mobile until today at work. Last night I received the upgrade from Kies to Jelly bean. When I got to work I tried to root it but it won't connect to the computer but only as usb modem. Then I started to google and found this forum. I downloaded the drivers from Samsung for my phone and installed it, removed the driver for modem in device manager, installed drivers, asked me to reboot which I did, reboot the phone, when I connected the phone it works the first time, installed all drivers as it should and I could see the folders in my computer. Thanks for the idea and I hope this help someone.

Upvote 0
I too have been struggling with my new 32GB Galaxy S3 and having it recognized by Windows 8 Pro.

Whenever I connected the phone, both the Galaxy S3 and Windows issued tones indicating that they recognized the connection, but Windows 8 Pro always displayed a message that the USB device was not recognized.

As mentioned in previous posts, I tried different USB cables without success.

I then followed these steps:

1. I uninstalled the Samsung Kies application through Windows (this also uninstalled the Samsung phone driver.)

2. Added a 32GB microSD card to my Galaxy S3.

3. Plugged in the USB cable supplied with my Galaxy S3 and turned on the phone.

4. Both the Galaxy and Windows exchanged tones and Windows began installing drivers. After the installation, a window opened showing icons for both the "Phone" and "Card" with storage status bars. The Galaxy appeared as a "Portable Media Player" in the "Computer" window.

5. Still plugged in, I then switched from MTP to PTP on the Galaxy - Windows immediately began another installation session and the Galaxy then appeared as a "Camera." A new window opened showing, again, both the "Phone" and "Card" storage options.

6. Now, when I review "Device Manager", I see "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers."

I hope this helps others.

Upvote 0
You have to completely delete every driver you have installed thus far. If Windows tried to automatically find then driver, and its still there, even if you have updated it, you're going to be crap out of luck.

Follow these directions to remove all Samsung Mobile drivers:
petri.co.il/removing-old-drivers-from-vista-and-windows7.htm]Uninstall Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

After you do that, restart the PC, then run the Kies troubleshoot Connection software. It will automatically install the correct drivers. Only after that is done, plug in your phone. Windows will again attempt to install the drivers, but this time it's using Samsung's drivers ONLY.

I was having trouble using ODIN and even transferring files from galaxy S3 to my computer. Removing the unused drivers following the above instructions and doing a fresh install solved the problem ! Thank you !

Upvote 0
Hi

Apparently now, my Lenovo (Windows 7 home basic) is unable to recognize ANY smartphones. And yes, I have tried different usb cable and my laptop still cant detect. It will not even charge anymore. I have tried connecting to other laptop using the same cable, and it is able to detect my phone.

I have tried installing multiple usb driver for mobile phone and the result is the same. I have tried uninstalling the driver and the result is still the same
Previously, my laptop is able to recognize my phone and now it cant. I think the problem can be trace when I install and then uninstall Samsung Kies. From that point on, my laptop is not able to detect my phone. I have tried system restore and for some reason, it cant be restored. I have even tried installing samsung mobile phone driver and it will not installed. It said i need to remove my mobile device (which is weird as nothing is connected to the laptop) and restart windows. The result is still the same

So please, I am kinda desperate here. What should I do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones