• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help multi copies of contacts

TeachMe

Android Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2010
hey guys i just got my ultra up and running problem is when i allow it to sync to my gmail account i am getting 3-4 copies of all my contacts. i had a contact file i loaded from my old android and all was good until it synced again any way to fix this. it wasnt doing this with my intercept any gmail.

hey guys i just got my ultra up and running problem is when i allow it to sync to my gmail account i am getting 3-4 copies of all my contacts. i had a contact file i loaded from my old android and all was good until it synced again any way to fix this. it wasnt doing this with my intercept any gmail.

go to settings accounts and sync tap on gmail and uncheck sync contacts?? since you alrready have them on your phone

Reactions: pantherskate89
Upvote 0
Cool just went to gmail and hit contacts and they were triple on there . gmail has an option to find and merge . worked like a treat then on phone i did manage apps and got contact app force closed and cleared data . it reloaded only one copy of each :) thank goodness 319 lotta manual deleting .

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
Hey TeachMe
The best way to remove redundant contact files is to manage them from your gmail account. Access your Gmail account from computer system and and go to contacts. There you will see all your contact files (multiple copies). Select all the contacts and then click on more, click on merge contacts with same name. Duplicate entries will be removed.
Further go to settings of your android phone > Applications > manage applications > all > contacts storage and click on clear data (this will delete all contacts info from your mobile memory).
Now go to contacts > accounts > your Gmail account and sync Gmail contacts.
You will have your contacts back in your cell, with no redundant data.

Upvote 0
Hey TeachMe
The best way to remove redundant contact files is to manage them from your gmail account. Access your Gmail account from computer system and and go to contacts. There you will see all your contact files (multiple copies). Select all the contacts and then click on more, click on merge contacts with same name. Duplicate entries will be removed.
Further go to settings of your android phone > Applications > manage applications > all > contacts storage and click on clear data (this will delete all contacts info from your mobile memory).
Now go to contacts > accounts > your Gmail account and sync Gmail contacts.
You will have your contacts back in your cell, with no redundant data.

I had already done the first half f this but couldnt figure out how to get rid of the multiple entries for things like text msg and voice. id like to say thanks so much for supplying a solution for something that ive been trying to figure out for over a month

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones