• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Multi tasking while using screen mirroring

Whiskeypawz

Android Enthusiast
May 20, 2010
I read an article a while back that said on the S4 you can surf the Web while you're watching Netflix with the screen mirroring function. Does anyone know how to do this? What I'm looking for is the ability to continue to watch a movie on my tv, without the stream being interrupted, while I surf the web, text, etc.

Whatever is on your phone screen is mirrored on the tv screen. So, if your using the multi-window option and have two apps open, at the same time, both will show on your tv screen. Now as to Netflix, I have that app and it isn't compatible with the multi-window function on the S4. (All apps that are compatible with multi-window, will show up under the edit tab, on the multi-window tab.)

Reactions: Whiskeypawz
Upvote 0
What I was reading was saying you can have multiple tasks going at the same time. Not the "split screen" kind of multi tasking but a movie going & be able to text without your movie being interrupted. Of course I can't find the article now! It's a new functionality built in to the S4 & a couple of other phones. Who knows, maybe the writer didn't know what he was talking about! :-\

Upvote 0
Actually you can, but only with the stock video player. (Your movie has to be saved to phone memory/SD card, in a playable format.) You start playing a movie, then minimize the player to a smaller window, that can be moved around on the home screen. (It can be resized too.) You can open any app and can still see the movie playing. Its actually pretty cool, even though I don't use it that often.

Upvote 0
I found the article! It was actually the LG G2 I remembered it talking about, not the S4. This was the part I was referring to...
" The LG G2, the Sony Xperia Z, and the Optimus G Pro are the first phones to allow Miracast multitasking, letting you mirror your screen while you continue browsing on your phone."
If anyone is interested, here is the link to the entire article. http://www.cnet.com/how-to/miracast-everything-to-know-about-mirroring-android/

Upvote 0
Whiskeypawz;[URL="tel:6532007" said:
6532007[/URL]]I found the article! It was actually the LG G2 I remembered it talking about, not the S4. This was the part I was referring to...
" The LG G2, the Sony Xperia Z, and the Optimus G Pro are the first phones to allow Miracast multitasking, letting you mirror your screen while you continue browsing on your phone."
If anyone is interested, here is the link to the entire article. Miracast: Everything to know about mirroring Android - CNET

Thanks. Here is what I use for my streaming. Seems to work like mircast.

Samsung AllShare Cast Hub review - CNET

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I already have one of those & used it with my Note 2. Either the phone was going bad or the hub was going bad but by the time I got rid of my Note 2 the phone literally had to be right next to the hub to stay connected. I ended up trading the Note 2 for the LG G2 so I bought the Netgear hub (for half the price). I didn't stick with the LG & ended up with the S4 but since the S4 is compatible with the Netgear I've continued to use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones