1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Multimedia Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BenDroid, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a webtop/multimedia dock for a good price anywhere? I am wanting to try one out but am not wanting to drop 80+ dollars on one right now. They seem pretty cool.

Advertisement

2. kingnut

kingnut Well-Known Member

i dont understand the need for USB's on the dock. i bought the regular home dock. i got it for $37.50 from verizon. please fill me in on the what the other dock actually does.

3. BenDroid

Well from what I have read, you are able to use that dock along with a HDMI out cord, usb keyboard, and mouse on any HDMI output device (like my tv). I think that would be pretty neat. Are you able to do something similar with your attachment?

4. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member

The multimedia version also comes with a remote control. Might be useful for people who have it set up as a media station while docked or say if one had to place the dock close to their tv where they can't reach the touchscreen from their sofa or something.

5. BenDroid

I really like the sound of all that. I really hope that the price on that dock drops away from 100 bucks though.

6. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member

Yeah, its a bit pricey, but I used the 25% accessory discount to get mine. It was a maximum of $20 discount off each item though, so effectively I paid $80 for it. Still steep, but I knew I wanted a desktop dock and got sold on the remote when the lady at VZW customer service had mentioned it while trying to figure out which one I was trying to order.

7. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member

I just have the standard one to use as a charger and as an alarm clock stand got it from eBay for 30 from someone that got it as part of the cosco package so for the money it is fine I would not spend 80 no matter how good the other one is or what else it can do.

8. BenDroid

9. kingnut

kingnut Well-Known Member

thats alot of extra stuff when i could just bring my laptop. i can do 99% of anything this dock provides from just my phone. good idea but not for me. not to mention $100 for a dock that only fits the bionic. i paid 38 for mine and already feel taken advantage of.

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

You're missing the point.

This HDMI Multimedia dock is so yo can use your phone directly - without having to tether it to your laptop - for all of these things - movie watching, Internet, etc.

it's basically the poor man's version of the LapDock. This is not a simple charging dock.

11. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

I got the HD Dock yesterday when I bought my Bionic, I was more than pleased to confirm that in "Mirror On Display" mode, I was able to play my Netflix movies on my HDTV.

12. Hola91

Hola91 Member

I got the lapdock and HD station when I got the Bionic. I already have a laptop but my wife is constantly on it so I figured that would be a good excuse to blow the $300. I gotta be honest with you, if my wife threw out the laptop tomorrow I wouldn't even notice or care. I am constantly using the lapdock to do all my internet stuff. Just the fact alone that I can do everything on the phone itself using the lapdock while surfing the web is absolutely awesome. It is definately more geared to the businessman, which I am not, but it is very useful. I just had to fly to Florida for a family emergency and had to leave with about a half hour notice and made sure I brought the lapdock. It definately came in handy and made life alot easier.

The HD station is like an extension of the lapdock in that you can do the same thing but on the big HDTV, which is awesome. Or you can sit down and use the remote to look at photos or video which was also cool. If you can get it for 25% off than it is worth the pick up if you intend on using it. I brought mine into work and use it for Netflix and surfing the web off of the company computer. I also have the standard dock next to my bed which is basically just a charger with a fancy screen. I am coming from the OG Droid and Droid X and must admit that I AM NOT a fan of the new docking screens but what can you do. Just thought there were more options with the X's bedside. So that's just my two cents.

johnlgalt likes this.
  13. BenDroid

Thanks for that information. I really think I am about to break down and get the HD station. I am in a similar situation where my wife is always on the pc so this would be very nice to have.

14. Hola91

Hola91 Member

You won't be disappointed if you use it as it was intended. As long as you have a solid WiFi and/or 4G connection you will very happy. The Bionic was just as fast and in some cases faster than my laptop loading pages. My laptop is a HP and only a couple of years old with 4 gigs of ram. Needless to say I love the Bionic and ALL of the accessories. I think the docks just make the whole phone and experience that much better. Not having the docks is like driving an automatic sports car, how much can you REALLY enjoy it. I can live with all the minor bugs until they are fixed.

johnlgalt likes this.