1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Multimedia videos (mp4) play very slow/laggy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ctcx, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ctcx

ctcx Lurker

Hello. New here in the community.

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830L, but I'm kind of newbie in this Android stuff so I'm starting to learn (or trying to).

I wanted to try playing videos and movies, so I placed a couple of episodes of a series from my PC to the Galaxy Ace. I tried 2 mp4 videos with these specs:
    1. Video codification: x264
    Audio codification: AAC
    File size: 95 Mb
    Resolution: 848 x 480

2. Video codification: h264
    Audio codification: AAC
    File size: 225 Mb
    Resolution: 848 x 480

First try and just a message saying "cannot play video" (I don't remember the exact messages, so I'll mention the idea). After a search I found that I needed a player (an Android app) in order to be able to play those videos.

So I tried first installing MX Player and its respective codecs (ARMv6 VFP, according to what the player asked me for). I've heard this is one good and versatile popular player.

Second try and they did play but slow and very laggy, not enjoyable. When playing the video I tried the option SW and selecting h/w and h/w+ acceleration, only to get a message "cannot use this option for this video".
    Then I tried another player (MoboPlayer), and same results.

Tried also looking for Samsung system updates, but none was found. Android version is 2.3.4 (I don't know if it's possible to update it, just to see if this is the problem).

I heard that this phone should be able to play these kind of videos without problems (even there are videos on Youtube), and if it's true only worsens things. It'd mean the problem it's only in my case...

Can anyone help?
    Thank you beforehand.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ctcx

ctcx Lurker

Tried also QQPlayer with same results. Any help yet please?

3. ctcx

ctcx Lurker

Guess I was pretty ignored, but anyway I think I solved it.

Just tried an AVI video and this time it played smoothly. So the issue was, this model seemingly has native trouble playing compressed-format videos, and AVI is a non compressed format.

4. ctcx

ctcx Lurker

But then why is this happening? (Let's see if someone doesn't see me as a little worm...)

5. Ryuinferno

Ryuinferno Well-Known Member

Everyone has their life...take a break man...we are all volunteers here...you might need to convert the videos into smaller formats as the max CPU speed for ACE is 800MHz...which is not too powerful...that explains why the videos lag...especially the one with a size of 200++MB...so you need to experiment on resolutions and formats...I personally reduced the resolution of a 2 hour video until the size is around 150MB...which is not very clear but plays smoothly...

6. Marcha

Marcha Well-Known Member

I also think it has to do with the CPU-speed in relation to the video resolution. I have smaller mp4-videos and no problems at all when playing them using the stock media player.

7. ctcx

ctcx Lurker

OK, thank you for your advises.

But now I have another question. I was with a friend, who has a Nokia N8-00 with Symbian. His processor is slower than mine (680 MHz IIRC), despite he has no problems playing the videos I'm trying to run. No slow, no lag...

I know this is an Android forum, but how would his model handle videos better with a slower processor but different mobile OS?

8. Ryuinferno

Ryuinferno Well-Known Member

As you stated...different OS...they handle things differently...can't explain cause I never use Symbian...

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews