1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Multiple apps per operation: good and evil

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by 350X, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 350X

350X Android Expert
    None

Multiple apps per operation: good and evil

Good:
    Ok I love having a choice when it comes to applications, you can pick and chose as you wish for the most part which is great.

Evil:
    But the evil side is Im already very annoyed being asked over and over which app I want to use. [Only had a android phone since xmas]

Say I open the stock browser and head to ebay, why does it need to ask on ever other link click which to use, stock browser or dolphin hd. [even dolphin hd does it]

I don't want to limit my choice by choosing one or the other as a default action.

But the darn thing should be smart enough to know I already chose said app for a said session and it should auto default to the said first chosen app, unless a new option would appear.

Did I make any sense ;)

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Personally I don't understand why you won't set a default. Saves trouble.

3. 350X

350X Android Expert
    None

Im not 100% set on dolphin hd, it does a few things the stocker cant, but if not tge stock browser is easier to look around a page, those auto side bars n draw shortcuts get on my nerves in d hd.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can disable the gesture controls and the swipe actions on dolphin. Its in the settings. Or you can get Boat Browser. I used to use dolphin but got tired of it after an update slowed it down and made it eat more resources.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Set a default and when using several browsers I recommend Chose Browser. Wherever you use a share action it gives you your list of installed browsers.

I'm a big fan of Boat Browser Mini (I like the lightweight mini style, but that's just my preference, the full version is great as well).

jerofld likes this.
  6. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    I am sorta on the fence with the OP on this one. I do choose default, but every time an app gets an update then I get aggravated having to re choose a default. Short of uninstalling/freezing the one I do not want to use, there is no alternative to constantly being asked.

7. 350X

350X Android Expert
    None

I know its nit picking, they just could of made the phone a bit smarter with out the need to ask all the time.

have session times for programs already running to be the auto default unless there is a new choice.

8. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    It's only the stock browser that does this. It's the way it opens files. And, unfortunately, there's no fix in sight, as both the Honeycomb browser and ICS browser do this. I'd recommend you check out the app EarlyMon suggested. I haven't used it, but it sounds useful.

I use a mix of browsers, too, and if I use the default 'Internet' browser, it can be a hassle.

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. 350X

350X Android Expert
    None

nope, dolphin hd does its too, or lets not blame either browser, its the websites sending data different then normal that causes it.

like trying to relist an item on ebay, or contacting a member, using the full site, not the very limited mobile.

10. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I also use a number of different browsers on my phone. I primarily use Opera Mini because it is the fastest browser. However, it is not full functioned, so I also use Dolphin HD if I want more function. Dolphin doesn't do everything I need either, so sometimes I use the stock browser.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    No its not nit picking, its asking too much of your phone at the current level of technology we have at the moment as far as I know. I'm not even sure if we can do that on a PC, or at least I never bothered to try to figure it out since it seems pointless to me on a PC.