1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Multiple launchers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hawker, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I've been doing a fair bit of ROM tinkering lately, and I've got a question on having more than one launcher installed.

I've noticed if I go into my apps and look at the non-default launcher, it has the Force Stop button enabled next to it, even though I have never invoked it, and I'm only using the default one. Now this got me thinking, do all the widgets, weather, news etc etc, get loaded in the background too for this non-current launcher?

Also, a quick question for those who use the Phandroid app. I noticed that it launches a Phandroid NewsService process, even when I've not used the app, so this gets launched on bootup as standard. Is there any way to prevent this happening?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

Even though it has a force stop option I can't seem to find it in the running section of application manager or tasks section of Android System Info app. :thinking:

Furthermore I'm absolutely sure that the widgets, weather, news, etc are not loaded in the background for two reasons.
    1. It would easily be apparent in the RAM or resources section and having 3+ launchers would cripple the system which does not happen in reality ;)
    2. Whenever we switch launchers, we can actually see most of the widgets refresh and reload. Some even say tap to load widget. :p

About the NewsService proces, if you find a solution do tell me too. I have my autosync of New turned off in the app, still the process is active. Though it's easy to kill from the running section of application manager.

3. lotsip81

lotsip81 Well-Known Member

I have been using Gemini App Manager for stopping those pesky auto starting apps. I had the same issue with apps not appearing in the running portion but still having a force close in the "all" area. It takes a bit of tinkering, but I got all the ones stopped that I wanted to.

Gemini seems to have a good amount for features like stopping apps from auto starting and blocking some apps from accessing the internet. It has many more features.....but those are the main ones I use. I've only been using it for a day or two, but it seems decent so far.

Maybe this helps......

4. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

Umm.. due to some weird reason it's being shown as incompatible with my phone :thinking:

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews