• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Multiple notification sounds for texts?

I don't believe you can using the stock messaging app. However, Handcent and Chomp SMS offer a lot more customization options than the stock app, and both are free in the market. If you do decide to go with a third party sms app, you will have to go to the settings in your stock app and disable notifications, otherwise you'll get duplicate notifications.

Reactions: kekchi
Upvote 0
in order to change notification sound for text messages:

1. open "messages"
2. touch menu
3. touch settings

scroll down and you will be given the notification options including notification sound for:

1. received messages
2. sent messages
3. new voicemail

*in order to add custom sounds to your list of notifications add the following folder path to your sd card or phone storage: "MP3/Notifications/"

and put your mp3's for the notifications folder. for ringtones: MP3/Ringtones/

(create folder named "MP3" in root of SD card, then create folder named "Notifications" inside of the folder named "MP3")

(to access phone storage, plug phone into pc and select "mount as disk drive"

Upvote 0
I've had great luck with SMS PopUp. It has a TON of settings. Love it. Have custom sounds for each individual contact

Scratch that!

Had to UNinstall! I tried reinstalling after a soft reset. No luck.
1st, just to let everyone know, I disabled the factory notifications, to prevent duplicate message notifications.

So here's what it was doing, some very odd & chaotic behavior below:

Sms PopUp was sending text messages to multiple people when I was only txting to ONE contact! Talk about YIKES!

Also, When you click on the messages icon (The one normally on homescreen or under your program list),
sms popup put a unreadable, undeletable, msg, with a
Contact name, date of December of 1969!!!!!
I had nearly 10 messages I could not delete that were like this.
I could not delete even if I checkmarked the delete locked.
Nothing I could do besides remove SmS PopUp would resolve my problems.

Back to the SenseUI messaging interface for me...for now.
I tried chompSMS as well as Handcent, and both yielded bad results.

I emailed the Developer regarding my issues.
I don't think SMS PopUp likes the Incredible's Sense UI, they didn't seem to play nicely.

Reactions: westernstar11
Upvote 0
thanks for the information. What if I'm using handcent or Pure Messenger for sms and/or emails?

In Handcent, when you have a text from a contact open, there is a little "settings" icon at the top right corner that controls the settings for that specific contact. That's where you can edit everything from their notification sound to the color of the bubbles. I'm not sure how you do it by contact if you don't have a message from to or from them, though. Anyone???

Upvote 0
in order to change notification sound for text messages:

1. open "messages"
2. touch menu
3. touch settings

scroll down and you will be given the notification options including notification sound for:

1. received messages
2. sent messages
3. new voicemail

*in order to add custom sounds to your list of notifications add the following folder path to your sd card or phone storage: "MP3/Notifications/"

and put your mp3's for the notifications folder. for ringtones: MP3/Ringtones/

(create folder named "MP3" in root of SD card, then create folder named "Notifications" inside of the folder named "MP3")

(to access phone storage, plug phone into pc and select "mount as disk drive"

Where can i find step by step (idiots guide) instructions for the instruction in red please. Is it done on the phone or must it be connected to my pc; as you may be able to tell i'm a numpty on the technical side of things :eek:

I have a HTC Hero

Upvote 0
Where can i find step by step (idiots guide) instructions for the instruction in red please. Is it done on the phone or must it be connected to my pc; as you may be able to tell i'm a numpty on the technical side of things :eek:

I have a HTC Hero

use an SD card reader or connect your phone to a pc so you can access your SD card.

That just means that you will create a folder in your SD card, or inother words not in a folder in the sd card, just go to "my computer" or however you have it named on your pc, find the drive that is the SD card. Go into that drive, and create the folder there. That is what the "Root" means in this case.

Reactions: Mervster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones