• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multiple notifications when receiving text

I have uninstalled all my sms messaging apps except for the default HTC messaging app. Every time I receive a text message, I get 2 audio notifications, and there are two icons on the notification bar. When I pull it down, one of the notifications sends me directly to the message, and extinguishes one of the icons. The other icon simply says "you have an unread message", and when I click on it nothing happens, and the icon never goes away (unless you hit clear) on the notification pull down menu.
It seems to me like I have two messaging programs installed, but I have gone over the list of apps for an hour and can't seem to find it.
If it helps, the icon looks like a postcard, with a vertical line down the middle., black and white.
Please help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones