1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Multiple problems with Nexus S

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Muniosi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, long story, please hear it out.
    I got an unlocked Nexus S for Christmas. It was on Android 2.3.4. As soon as I got it I saw there was an update to 3.something. I accepted. I saw a green android next to a white box with an orange arrow coming out of the box. It stayed like that for a while until it change to an android next to a white triangle with an orange ! in it. That didn't go away so I held down the power button until it turned off. Turned it back on and it was on 2.3.4 and said it was up to date. I knew it wasn't and I should at least get 3.0 if not ICS. I later decided to do a factory reset to see if that would fix it. I wanted to backup my apps so I looked for an app on the market that would do that for me. I found Titanium Backup which says it must be rooted. I saw that and wondered if my phone was rooted, and that was why I couldn't update. I got the app and it worked perfectly. I deduced that I must be rooted. So I looked for a guide that would let me unroot my phone. I followed the guide and now am on Android 2.3.1 and it still says it's up to date. Also I no longer have phone service. I don't have a phone number or anything, it's like it doesn't even detect the SIM card. I can't download apps either. What happens is I go to the market and try to download one. The downloading app icon appears in the status bar for a half second, then goes away. The app is never downloaded or installed. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? My dad got it from eBay and the listing never said anything about it being rooted or unrooted. Should I try to get a refund?

Would manually installing ICS help? And if I did that, would I continue to get new Android updates OTA or would I have to manually install them from then on?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to AF! :)

You're in a bit of a difficult situation in that because you've messed about a little yourself, I'm not entirely sure where you'd stand with getting your money back on eBay.

I'd say you were rooted when you bought it and if it wasn't sold as such, then you might be able to do something about it. Do you recall ever seeing an app called Super User on there at all?

3. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    It didn't say it was rooted. It said nothing at all about whether it was rooted or not. And yes, superuser was on there.

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, it was rooted then.

You could attempt to contact the seller, but it's really up to them on whether or not they take it back. You could even contact eBay and say the item wasn't as described?

5. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, so is returning it the only thing I can do?

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't know unfortunately, hopefully someone who owns the device will be able to chime in.

7. megadude

megadude Member
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Android 3 is exclusively for tablets, theres no such thing as android 3 for phone, the latest before ICS is 2.3.6

8. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Oh OK, thanks.

EDIT: Do you suppose the inability to download apps is linked to my lack of reception? I'm quite sure it's not the SIM card because I tried it with a different, working card and it still didn't work. If I take it back to the AT&T store, could they fix it?

9. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, update. I tried flashing it with Android 2.3.6 and it seemed to be working just fine until I tried rebooting. I got stuck on the boot screen. I tried volume up + power, which worked until I chose Recovery. Then I got the regular recovery screen for a second or two, then and Android next to a box with an arrow, and then the box turned into a triangle with a ! inside. All I could do then was remove the battery. Help please!! :(

10. Muniosi

Muniosi Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    My phone is working again! I installed a new OS last night, but got stuck on the boot screen. This morning I did a factory reset and it worked!!!! :D :D :D

Tags: