1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Multiple User support?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Simard57, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Simard57

Simard57 Lurker

I am getting my first tablet and wonder how I can easily share it with my wife. It seems that tablets are intended for one user and there is no way to personalize it differently for a different user.

I would like to have separate email accounts and environments. We may share to read books and use while travelling. Should I just uise Webmail instead of the email client to personalize the email - then what about the user experience?

I believe Ice Cream Sandwich will not change this situation? Is the answer investing in two tablets?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!

great question. For christmas my wife got a TF101 and I got a TF201

We are considering returning her TF101 and both share my TF201, and save some money

It would be great if we had a multi-user option!

3. wynand32

wynand32 Well-Known Member

My wife and I have our own tablets (me an original Transformer, soon to be a Prime, her a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1), and that's the only scenario that would work for us even if Android supported multiple users. Which it doesn't, of course, on any device.

Bottom line is, there are very distinct times when we both use our tablets at the same time, such as in the early evening while we're relaxing waiting for the kid to finally go to sleep. And then there are random times when we're both on ours at the same time for very specific reasons. Really, it just wouldn't work for us to only have one tablet--if we did, then it would pretty much be one person's and the other would use something else.

4. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!

Not in my house lol. I sit in a recliner, she sits on a couch .. a table is in middle of us. We can each grab it and spend 20-30min doing out surfing and facebooking. I cant see us fighting for time on it.

Also i am not dumping my laptop because it does too much that a tablet cannot do for me, so that is a factor as well.

I think we can easily share time on a tablet, but it would be good to have our own respective wallpaper, icon lineup, bookmarks in browser, etc

5. Simard57

Simard57 Lurker

while having two tablets would be ideal - it is not practical at this time. The tablet may be her's primarily but I would like to take it when i travel - smaller than my 15" laptop that gets bad battery life. The tablet with keyboard is just more portable. When it is home, it would likely be mostly used by her.

It seems like it should be a feature of Android - heck the underlying Linux can support multiple accounts. The way it works now - best not provide your tablet to a guest because everything you can do - they can now do... yikes.

6. ryguy5254

ryguy5254 Member

If you install a Home Launcher, then hit home, you have an option to choose between the stock home, or whatever you downloaded. Sort of having two 'environments'.

Thats all I got.

7. Simard57

Simard57 Lurker

thanks - I will look into that. Do you have one you can recommend?

does this solve the Marketplace, email, facebook, .... personalizations too?

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Forum

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 10.1" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, and Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews