• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Multitasking & Memory/App Management

Handles it perfectly, the boost in memory up to 2gb has really took the shackles off and I don't think it's as aggressively managed now. I had the tegra 3 one x and didn't find the multitasking to be as bad as on the dual core us version but sometimes it would get a little frustrating particularly on the browser.

Upvote 0
I can now answer my own question: yes, HTC has greatly improved multitasking from the One X. App no longer refresh when you go back to them. The grid view is much more efficient than the previous card view. Overall I wish they would just use the stock version of app switching because it's perfect but this is a big step up from last year.

Upvote 0
Long press on the home button works with other jellybean phones. The task manager is accessed by tapping on the little graph icon in the lower left corner.

Long press on the home button works with other jellybean phones. The task manager is accessed by tapping on the little graph icon in the lower left corner.
Ignore this for the HTC One. HTC is trying to change the android paradigm so I guess you guys will just have to rely on each other. I'll miss you. :ahhhhh:

Upvote 0
I've been using my htc one for about a week now and have used only bout 8/32gb of storage. I don't use any other additional panels on my home screen and have a handful of widgets on the home panel. but the lock screen seems to be quite slow every time i access my phone. it takes bout 2-3 seconds before the pin pad appears. my friend just got his htc one yesterday and his lock screen appears ALOT faster than mine. is this because i have stuff installed already? any tips to restore it to normal speed?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Quote: "I've been using my htc one for about a week now and have used only bout 8/32gb of storage. I don't use any other additional panels on my home screen and have a handful of widgets on the home panel. but the lock screen seems to be quite slow every time i access my phone. it takes bout 2-3 seconds before the pin pad appears. my friend just got his htc one yesterday and his lock screen appears ALOT faster than mine. is this because i have stuff installed already? any tips to restore it to normal speed?

Thanks!"

Have you tried restarting your phone? Are you using power saver settings for CPU usage? These are things you might want to consider or it could be an app you installed. Try to uninstall the ones you think it might be.

Upvote 0

Ignore this for the HTC One. HTC is trying to change the android paradigm so I guess you guys will just have to rely on each other. I'll miss you. :ahhhhh:

Change is great! HTC really let the Cougar out of the bag with this phone and it's setup. HTC this is long overdue! People have always claimed that HTC has the best hardware and now they have really proven it. I hated the browser on my EVO 3D. Monly complaint with that phone. When they issued a fix for the capacative buttons on the HTC One I was in heaven. That was a minor issue to me.

I can't stop showing off my phone. I wish SEIDIO would have created a clear active case for this phone if that's possible. Putting a case on the phone takes away from the beauty and sleekness of the device. But I use my case because I'm afraid of accidental drops.

I had a female friend over for the night. (Kids cover the ears..lol.) Needless to say her arms were going all over the place and she reached over and knocked the HTC One off of my nightstand. Yes, everything stopped at that point and I made sure to move the phone far far away. It was in it's active case when it hit the carpet thank goodness.

Upvote 0
I bought Nova Launcher and couple of clock widget as well. Quite soon I realized that I'm happy with Sense 5 and not needing those clock widgets at all. However, I noticed that they were started automatically and because I don't want to waste any of processing power (or anything else), I uninstalled those widgets just to be sure. Do you think it would be good enough if I just never used those widgets and left android take care of those? I mean I even unistalled Nova Launcher even though I thought that it would be fun to try time to time. I just don't want waste my battery to anything I'm not asking for..

edit: Correcting typos that my Swyping did...

Upvote 0
I can't comment on how launchers run on an HTC One. What I can say is that Android uses RAM in a smart fashion. Basically, it uses a Just In Time Compiler to determine when to move applications out of foreground memory to cached memory. This frees RAM in order to run apps efficiently. So yes, letting Android manage app processes is the right way to go.

I'm gonna move this to the HTC One forum so users that know the device may offer more advice.

And, a belated welcome to Android Forums! This place has a wonderful community. Hope you stick around!

jmar

Upvote 0
I lock my screen with a 4 digit password. As of the last 2 weeks I will press the power button and it was take 2 or 3 seconds for the screen to turn on (it used to be instant). When I do type in my password there is lag and it takes another few seconds for it to load (again this used to be instant). Rest of the phone is totally fine, so what has caused it to suddenly become slow to respond to the power button and passcode entry?

Upvote 0
Hey everyone!

Love my HTC One--near perfect, minus this issue I'm having.

I power down the phone completely each night (FAST BOOT IS OFF) to give it a rest. When I wake up, turn it on, check Power, I see that while things like Data weren't on while the phone was off, two categories show a solid line (indicating they were on):
Screen On
Awake

In fact, these two categories have a solid line for the ENTIRE duration the phone is off.

This is also draining my battery a good bit (close to 10%) each overnight. How should I go about correcting this? I've already tried the Factory Reset!

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
meek,

sounds like a memory management thing, so lets discuss over here shall we? ;)

what carrier are you on? US or international?

have you rooted your device?

do you use live wallpapers? have a lot of folders/icons and lots of home screens?

all of these things eat up precious resources and if you see a lag when waking up the device, it could be an issue with memory management.

let me ask, prior to installing this app, did you see this behavior with the stock lock screen?

Upvote 0
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

I'm on o2, which I imagine would be international.

Yes my device is rooted.

I have about 2 pages worth of icons on my home screen.

and as for the delay, its not so much the delay from when I press the lock button to when the screen light ups. Its a delay in terms of when the custom lock screen appears.

I would of thought that when I installed the custom lock screen it would replace the stock one, but it appears as though the stock lock screen is still present and the custom screen just sits on top of it and occasionally when I press the lock button to wake the phone it would forget to load up and the stock screen will appear briefly before switching to the custom screen...

Upvote 0
just tried that now, looks like that solved it lol thanks guys.

I had the same problem with PowerAmp. It has its own lock screen that will show up when you are playing music. sometimes the timing is off, and I end up with the regular lock screen. I can't turn off the stock lock screen, because I WANT that lock screen when I'm NOT playing music. I've pretty much just gotten used to dealing with it and haven't really tried to find a solution to it. At least you have a solution that works. One of these days I'll get around to sending a note to the PowerAmp people and see if they can fix it. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I had the same problem with PowerAmp. It has its own lock screen that will show up when you are playing music. sometimes the timing is off, and I end up with the regular lock screen. I can't turn off the stock lock screen, because I WANT that lock screen when I'm NOT playing music. I've pretty much just gotten used to dealing with it and haven't really tried to find a solution to it. At least you have a solution that works. One of these days I'll get around to sending a note to the PowerAmp people and see if they can fix it. :)

You could set poweramp to disable poweamps lockscreen. Or uncheck the enable option. Leave android lockscreen controls checked. This would leave you with no album art but you would still get music controls on the lock bar above the dock.

Setting should look like this.

Unless album art on lockscreen is really important to you...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378910486002.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378910486002.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
You could set poweramp to disable poweamps lockscreen. Or uncheck the enable option. Leave android lockscreen controls checked. This would leave you with no album art but you would still get music controls on the lock bar above the dock.

Setting should look like this.

Unless album art on lockscreen is really important to you...

Actually, the entire reason I use the PowerAmp lockscreen, is because I don't have to swipe to unlock it when I am playing music. :) The PowerAmp lockscreen just has a tap to unlock. It is a silly reason. Actually, I had planned on putting Nova Launcher and Widget Locker on it, as I had been using them on my Evo3D forever. I just decided not to mess with the stock experience too much while I learned the ins and outs. Since I am so lazy though, I never bothered to switch once I learned what I wanted. :) Luckily, the processor and memory are fast enough that it is seldom an issue for me. I mean, I DO like the layout of the PowerAmp lockscreen, which is another plus. Don't really care about album art. Again, it is mostly just laziness that keeps me from switching. :)

Just wanted to put another app out there that people might see a similar situation, just so people are informed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones