1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Multitasking question...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by drax6, Sep 6, 2010.

1. drax6

drax6 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Hi there

I am new to this forum, and Android.
    I'm thinking to buy Samsung Galaxy S (i9000) and begin to develop some apps for that platform.
    Before I do, I would like to know more about os.

I have been searching over the net various information (Android and SGS specific) but I haven't managed to find answer to this question:

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Android multitask applications, they all do running in background until that when I start some new app, and there is no enough RAM memory available, OS automatically closes some active app.
    Is there any way to prevent this?
    I would like more to OS prevent me from launching that app instead killing active one (eg. to popup message that there is no enough RAM).
    I don't care if I need to root/patch/modify phone as long it will provide me multitasking like on PC (or Symbian, if anyone have experience with that).

Also I am loyal Symbian user, but I don't like what they have done to Symbian now.
    Thats why I am seeking for alternative (Android).

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    Don't quote me but I think you can list the app as a "Service" (although it chews up more battery) and it will have higher priority over other apps.

3. drax6

drax6 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks for reply.
    So I should be able to prioritize applications, which is not bad.
    But can I prevent app from being closed by OS?