• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multitasking question...

drax6

Lurker
Sep 6, 2010
Hi there

I am new to this forum, and Android.
I'm thinking to buy Samsung Galaxy S (i9000) and begin to develop some apps for that platform.
Before I do, I would like to know more about os.

I have been searching over the net various information (Android and SGS specific) but I haven't managed to find answer to this question:

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Android multitask applications, they all do running in background until that when I start some new app, and there is no enough RAM memory available, OS automatically closes some active app.
Is there any way to prevent this?
I would like more to OS prevent me from launching that app instead killing active one (eg. to popup message that there is no enough RAM).
I don't care if I need to root/patch/modify phone as long it will provide me multitasking like on PC (or Symbian, if anyone have experience with that).

Also I am loyal Symbian user, but I don't like what they have done to Symbian now.
Thats why I am seeking for alternative (Android).

Thanks for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones