• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multitouch Keyboard from DX on Inc

I was so excited when I saw this, but it's no better than Smart Keyboard Pro.

It's still not fully functional multitouch. It can only register two consecutive keys at a time for multitouch (same as Smart Keyboard Pro). For example, try typing "hey." If you hit H and hit E before lifting your finger from the H, then lift both fingers before hitting Y, everything is fine. But if you still have your finger on the H when you hit the E, and then leave that finger on the E when hitting the Y, you get "hee."

And worst of all, just like Smart Keyboard Pro, if you type REALLY fast, it just doesn't even register some key presses which defeats the entire purpose of these supposedly faster keyboards. Again, try with "hey." It's an easy three letter word to hammer out quickly. If you really blaze through it, you'll either get "ey" or even worse occasionally just "y."

Sigh. Only reason I use Smart Keyboard Pro is for its amazing custom dictionary feature. Shapewriter for portrait, SKP for landscape.

My real question is... are these "semi-multitouch" keyboards the way they are due to hardware limitations? Or just poor programming?

Upvote 0
i like swype in portrait but id use this over swype in landscape. wish there were a way to set different keyboards for different layouts

Same.

Anyone know if theres any way to do this? Seems like an app should be able to, or at the very least a rooted phone. I still haven't bit the bullet on rooting but I feel like this would be such a functional reason that I would have to.

Upvote 0
It's nice, but I prefre the stock keyboard in landscape. I can type "forrectiob", or "cpreectjob" and still get "correction" out of it. I dont even use the vibrate. I just speed through, and watch the auto-correction fix 99% of my mistakes...
Like it's been said, Swype wins in portrait...but in landscape...I'm the Stock keyboard, hands down.

Reactions: 762x51
Upvote 0
My real question is... are these "semi-multitouch" keyboards the way they are due to hardware limitations? Or just poor programming?

I'd really like to know this too. I'd like to know if I can ever look forward to typing the speed I used to on my BlackBerry, or the speed I can on my iPod. If I replicate that same speed, even with this new supposedly multi-touch keyboard, it misses letters or makes mistakes.

I don't get it :(

I do know that using touch test programs, my HTC Inc. is only recognizing up to two touches at once - is that part of the problem?

Upvote 0
I've downloaded this on my phone and installed it, but how do I select which keyboard to use?

edit: Multi-touch keyboard shows up under Language & keyboard settings but when I click on a text box I have no option to change keyboards...

edit edit: figured it out... you have to press and hold down on the text box...

How? i still cant get it to work.

Upvote 0
Don't see any reason to switch from Swype

Easy.

Swype is nice but you quickly learn that it's only good for its intended style of typing: swiping...

Sometimes, I want to just type like I do with the stock keyboard, but what happens is Swype will try to register your quick key presses as a single, continuous swipe, and it ends up putting spaces between letters of the same word. It's really annoying. I think the stock keyboard with autocorrect is much, much faster to type on.

I will try out the Moto X keyboard. How do I install it? Just download the apk in my Incredible browser?

Upvote 0
Easy.

Swype is nice but you quickly learn that it's only good for its intended style of typing: swiping...

Sometimes, I want to just type like I do with the stock keyboard, but what happens is Swype will try to register your quick key presses as a single, continuous swipe, and it ends up putting spaces between letters of the same word. It's really annoying. I think the stock keyboard with autocorrect is much, much faster to type on.

I will try out the Moto X keyboard. How do I install it? Just download the apk in my Incredible browser?

Fastest method is using barcode scanner on the barcode on previous page, then after installation, go into settings> languages & keyboard> multitouch input

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones