• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multitouch (not pinch-zoom)

Nov 4, 2009
I know that there are other multitouch threads, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question. Does the virtual keyboard support multitouch? I know Rob's video says it does, but I didn't actually see a physical example. With Nilay at engadget touting that it is not supported (in the keyboard) I can't help but want solid proof. Is there any way to get a video up of multitouch typing to soothe my troubled mind?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I do NOT care about Pinch Zoom. What I want to know is whether or not the virtual Keyboard recognizes multiple keystrokes at the same time. This is being debated by Engadget, and I would like to know for sure.

You were clear in your post, but how does one show multi-touch in a video?

Several reviews have stated that it DOES have multitouch, but you remain skeptical. Clearly, the vid above shows that the screen supports multiple simultaneous inputs (pinch zoom), which is needed for multi-touch typing.

You may find the thread below useful
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/13292-multitouch.html

Upvote 0
One can show keyboard multitouch support by striking one key, then striking another before letting up on the first key. If they both register, awesome. I know that the phone supports multitouch, but the browser clearly does not (for now), so I think it is within reason to wonder if the keyboard is the same way.

Upvote 0
Yes , The keyboard does support Multi-touch , Check this out , it's the Features of 2.0 including:

Android virtual keyboard

• *An improved keyboard layout to makes it easier to hit the correct characters and improve typing speed.
  • *The framework's multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.
  • *A smarter dictionary learns from word usage and automatically includes contact names as suggestions.
Carl C

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones