1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Multitouch

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by freesoul27, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Maxx

Maxx Member

The reason US is singled out is because that is where Apple could most easily win a lawsuit.

So...third party apps are the answer for now...the one place I would like pinch and zoom though is google maps.

2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

I agree on maps, at least add a slider bar like Google Maps on the web for zoom. How hard would that be?

3. Y314K

Y314K Well-Known Member

4. LADude

LADude Newbie

Also, I think just because Apple might hold a US patent doesn't mean that they have a claim elsewhere.

Even if they do, infringement standards are less stringent in other parts of the world.

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

The USPTO is working on establishing a global, balanced, rule-of-law for protecting intellectual property. Unfortunately, at this time, there is not anything in place. This is primarily the reason why we are seeing multi-touch pinch zoom implemented in the DROID and NEXUS overseas. President Obama is resolute in working with the USPTO and other foreign agencies to protect intellectual property outside the US.

6. swaze

swaze Member

Sure you do, everytime you text anything or type anything. Ever wonder why you can type very fast without a lag or slow response of your letters showing up on the screen?? Its because you have multitough which allows the hero to register mustiple hits of the keyboard thus allowing your screen to keep up with your typing instead of hitting a key then waiting a couple secs for the letter to show up. If you are a big texter, then its a deal breaker to alot of people.

7. informale

informale Android Enthusiast

Multiple consecutive touches (no matter how fast) have nothing to do with multi-touch. Multi-touch is a method of interpreting two (or more?) simultaneous touches.

8. oniongirl

oniongirl Android Enthusiast

I'm sure I read on this forum somewhere that multi-touch for typing is fine. I think it's just the pinch-and-zoom mechanism that isn't there. I may be completely wrong, but someone who has the phone can surely find out by pressing a button on the keyboard and pressing another one without letting go.

9. cm40

cm40 Newbie

tell me if this theory sounds feasible...

Android's OS updates are pushed directly by Google, not the carriers correct? Carriers can customize their features in the OS. OEMs can as well, but the firmware updates are controlled by Google, and we've seen 4 major updates in the past year. Not bad at all. Open Source is really pushing the pace.

Well Google began their Open Handset Alliance a few years ago and now we're seeing multiple manufactures developing handsets with different options for consumers. correct? I believe they announced they had at least 40 companies on board when they announced the N1. Worldwide.

We're also seeing carriers embrace this new business model and concentrate on their services and be able to support various handsets no matter who was the previous provider. That's the plan for the future at least.
    Correct?

What if Google decides to wait until they have more carriers on board, more manufactures release devices (smartphones, netbooks & personal media players included, that's A LOT if you've been watching CES this past week) and release an OTA update that includes multi-touch, pinch zoom, and other features WORLD WIDE as Apple makes their announcement for their 4G iPhone?

This would make it difficult for Apple to take legal action against so many providers, carriers, and take hits in the press before a major launch of a new product.
    Correct?

Or is this just crazy thinking?

10. gentlefury

gentlefury Android Enthusiast

now what I don't understand is...if everything in the Google OS is open source, why can't someone just put the UK versions of all the apps in the market?

11. informale

informale Android Enthusiast

Google apps are not open source, or at least they are protected by copyright. Which was exactly the issue with modded firmware for HTC Dream and Magic... The developer was forced to exclude those from the firmware.

12. cm40

cm40 Newbie

Google describes it as MOSTLY open.

13. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

I don't get what all the fuss is about over multitouch. Typing on the N1 works great and isn't an issue at all. Pinch-zoom in the browser is completely unnecessary. First of all, you can't zoom in with only 1 hand unless you put the phone down, well you can but it'll be pretty awkward. Why do something with 2 fingers that you can do with 1? Double-tap zooms in great formats text perfectly for reading. I can see pinch-zoom being good for maps so you can quickly zoom in on the area you are looking at. And multitouch for games is already supported so that's a non-issue.

14. JSchu22

JSchu22 Android Enthusiast

Apple only has to go after the manufacturer of the device or OS. Carriers have nothing to do with it.

15. JSchu22

JSchu22 Android Enthusiast

I can tell you haven't used an iPhone with consistency, which certainly isn't a bad thing. Multi-touch definitely makes a few common touch tasks easier, more convenient. One great example is the 2 finger tap to zoom out on Maps.

16. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

Actually I used to have an iphone, 1st gen. I don't recall the 2 finger tap in maps you mentioned, maybe I never used it or maybe that didn't happen til later. Aside from that, there's nothing revolutionary about multitouch imo, atleast on cellphones. I agree with someone earlier who said a dragbar would be good in maps, like they have on regular googlemaps.

17. The iPhone's multitouch has evolved a bit since the first generation model.

18. markouk

markouk Android Enthusiast

Love the username!

19. cm40

cm40 Newbie

I disagree.

If a carrier's top selling manufacture is being sued by Apple this will cause problems with that carrier supporting Apple's iPhone on their network. The carrier may have to halt production of that carrier's best selling phone and the carrier will definitely lose money.

For example, AT&T announced they are releasing 5 Android devices by the Q2 of 2010. Right now AT&T is the only carrier for Apple. That's sending a message to Apple that they are willing to move on to accommodate Apple's top competition.
    With Apple's contract with AT&T coming up soon I think Apple has be careful what they do that can jeopardize a potential business relationship. AT&T will survive without Apple if they can give their customers options on handsets that are comparable to the iPhone.

Other carriers have proven they didn't need Apple to stay alive, such as Verizon and T-Mobile. I think the Open Handset Alliance is the Anti-Apple business model the carriers need to avoid being held for ransom by companies like Apple.

20. markouk

The way I see it, Apple got greedy by opening the iPhone up to other carriers. There is no real premium on it now as the carriers are battling to undersell each other to get business. The rest of us are looking at the next best thing as the market is perceivably saturated with iPhones. Great time for a new chief in town (HTC in my mind) to come through and pull the rug from under Apple. Android and Windows Mobile are catching up on the UI front which will draw consumers away from the over priced Apple offering. I am very interested to see what Apple will produce in terms of the iPhone 4G in the coming weeks. If they miss their normal spotlight then the competitors may make up some more ground this year.

21. trekgraham

trekgraham Member

I'm being patient because coming from blackberry, I'm used to waiting for updates but I've noticed Google updates its OS very well, very efficiently. First update was in first month after the release, that is simply amazing.

22. cm40

cm40 Newbie

either way it's interesting to see what's going to happen in the mobile market this year. i'll be watching the stocks closely

23. markouk

It's going the same way as the PC market in terms of hardware performance. Apple have made great advances in UIs but I feel Microsoft and Google have caught up with their offerings. Hardware capabilities are going to be the flavour of the year in 2010. The software has peaked for now, it's going to be about who can throw the stale OS' about the fastest this year till a new wave of innovation passes through. If anything, Apple kicked off the "Hardware Race" with the 3GS. The lack of innovation on the OS front in their iPhone platform sort of forced them into a situation where they had to come up with an alternative USP for the new iPhone SKU. Little did they know that they were kicking off a Cold War in Hardware.

24. markouk

Wow. I can't remember posting this, I was pretty drunk that night (morning). Sorry :D:p

Nexus One Forum

The Nexus One release date was January 2010. Features and Specs include a 1400mAh battery, 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, and Snapdragon S1 processor.

January 2010
Release Date
Reviews