1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Music apps, to help me tune, stay in tune etc

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pengyou, Jan 25, 2013.

1. pengyou

pengyou Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    North Dakota
    I am all excited at the prospect of finally getting a REAL tablet - not just the little 'droid phone I have been using. I have oodles of links to find most of the apps that I want to use (but I already belong to forums related to these topics, so it was easy) but I am having trouble finding apps to help me learn how to play musical instruments. I am taking guitar lessons now and want to add the Chinese violin, so I hope to find something to help me tune either instrument, and especially with the violin to tell me when I am playing in tune or not. If any of you know websites that related to music and 'droid apps, please feel free to send me the links. That site might not be right, but once I start reading it is likely to help me get where I want to go.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    The erhu? Two strings, small body, long neck, no frets, large tuning pegs. Sounded like a strangled cat when I tried to play it.

There's a few violin specific tuning apps on Google Play, try some of them out, see what suits you. Also there's quite a few general purpose chromatic tuning apps as well, which will also help you tune a violin and an erhu. A chromatic tuning should also tell you what note you think you're playing or actually playing, and how close you are to it. I know with non-fretted instruments like the violin and erhu, you've got to finger the pitch yourself, unlike a guitar.

FYI about erhu tuning, the inside string (nearest to the player) is generally tuned to D4 and the outside string to A4. This is the same as the two middle strings of the violin.