1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Music controls on lock screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by N1vag, Jun 4, 2011.

1. N1vag

N1vag Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Does anyone know of anyway to control the music from the lock screen like you can on the iphone? I really miss being able to skip, pause etc without unlocking the phone.

Advertisement

2. N1vag

N1vag Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I know you can use the supplied headset to pause and skip the songs but you can't go back and I don't always use the headset (in fact I hardly ever do).

3. GalaxyS2

GalaxyS2 Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    UK
    Can you skip with the headset? How? I know I can pause when the lock screen is on, but I can't start the music again without pressing the power button.

4. daemolition

daemolition Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Not sure if I'll be addressing your issue but when I'm playing music, I can skip, pause and play songs without unlocking the device. My lock screen has a little widget at the top. All I need to do is turn on the screen without unlocking the device.

5. d0gma64

d0gma64 Lurker
    None

May 8, 2011
    Install Winamp, that has the option to use all the controls on the screen without unlocking. The supplied headset allows you to pause, play and skip to the next track, to do this press the button on the headset lead (really really!!) quickly twice.
    HTH

mcsnake, xmjox and N1vag like this.
  6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    PowerAMP also has lockscreen controls (and its the best media player for Android, so well worth getting in any case).

N1vag likes this.
  7. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Male
    Manchester, England
    I second the Power Amp suggestion, it is a fantastic player and gives you a solution to your problem.

8. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    Why do u guys think poweramp is so good. From memory I found it a pain to get to list of artists etc as it defaults to folder view and buttons were tiny.

9. raviteja_HYD

raviteja_HYD Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Not Working Right Now
    India
    I hardly listen to music so I dont mind about it

10. raviteja_HYD

raviteja_HYD Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Not Working Right Now
    India
    I hardly listen to music so I dont mind about it..Sorry for double posts By mistake said it to 2 times

11. tikigod19

tikigod19 Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    i really miss this too after changing from iphone.

I've just tried powerAMP and winamp. I think i prefer the free winamp as it looks a bit simpler, however I have a question (about both really) with regards to the lock screen controls.

i loved the double tap of the home button on the iphone to bring up the player to resume music from where i left off. i notice that the lock screen controls on both powerAMP and winamp only appear if music is playing already. Is there any way to confiugure the play/pause button to come up on the lock screen even when music is not playing so I can quickly push play

N1vag likes this.
  12. raviteja_HYD

raviteja_HYD Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Not Working Right Now
    India
    Say if it worked after trying

13. daemolition

daemolition Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Power amp indeed is a great music player I purchased it a while ago. However, if all you need to do is control your music on the lock screen, you dont need a third party app for that cos the stock music player does this.

14. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Widget locker. Allows you to put icons and any widget on the homescreen along with various different unlocker. (Like iPhone slider, stock android, Sense unlocker, Moto's unlocker) No rooting, and it's very fluid on my Desire. Not hint of lag.

It does cost though, but it's not very expensive and IMO it's well worth it.

Basically gives you a way to instant-launch apps. :)

15. Peninsula

Peninsula Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    London, UK
    as a previous poster said, the stock player has the controls on the screen if you use the default lockscreen - the orange one which u swipe off to unlock.

but if you want your music buttons on the lockscreen all the time, music playing or not, simply lockscreen will do that for you https://market.android.com/details?id=org.firezenk.simplylock

16. jimlad

jimlad Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    dont bother with poweramp... its over rated.. winamp rocks and is free

seeafish likes this.
  17. tikigod19

None

May 26, 2011
    I would agree with this, i tried both but winamp was good enough.

i didnt know you can use lock screen controls with the default player, but by the sounds of it you then cant change wallpaper off of the default, is that right?

I will definitely look into simply lock screen also. As long as the player remembers what was last played and where it was up to (assuming the task has not been killed) then this sounds like just what i want

18. tikigod19

None

May 26, 2011
    hmm not too keen on simply lock screen because of the slide to unlock seems temperamental.

Is there any way you can customise what a double tap of the home button does when the phone is locked? If I could get this to somehow show audio controls then that would be perfect for me.

Peninsula, how can I get this default orange lock screen back to try to stock app lock screen controls? When i go to select lock screen wallpaper I just see the contents of my gallery as thats where my last lock screen wallpaper was from

19. jbdeq

jbdeq Lurker
    None

May 12, 2011
    If i put the music app or camera app on the widget locker screen and try to access it should it take me straight to those apps or do i have to unlock first?
    No matter what i change in settings all it does once i press the app is bring up the unlock pattern and THEN take me straight to it. Is this right?

20. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    You have to turn off the security and the it'll take you straight into the app you choose.

21. Peninsula

Peninsula Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    London, UK
    Tikigod19 - go to Settings > Location and Security. Then select Change Screen Lock and turn off the screen lock, then exit & play some music. If you lock the screen then press home key the music controls should appear at the top of the screen. Does that work?!

22. daemolition

daemolition Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    You dont have to stick to the default wallpaper, you can change the picture and still have the lock screen controls.

Go to settings>display>screen display>lockscreen wallpaper. There I believe you can choose the default wallpaper.

Like I said before though, you can use any.picture for your wallpaper and the controls still work. I gues it.has to be the drag/swipe lockscreen mode you use.

jamiegs2 likes this.
  23. N1vag

N1vag Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I have tried winamp and it does exactly what I want it to so thanks to all that recommended it.

24. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    About PowerAMP - you can change which screen it defaults to folders/library, and it has many features missing in win amp - gapless playback, cross fading, a pre- amp, equalizer...

25. tikigod19

None

May 26, 2011
    that does work and I had seen that before however I thought that the problem was that as soon as you pause and exit the music app the controls are gone from the lock screen so i can't resume it later on from the lock screen, however, after checking winamp doesnt do this either so I guess for me there's no point using winamp really.

I just wish i could customise a double tap of the home button when locked to open up the music controls... any of you clever bods want to make that dream a reality for me?!?