• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Music File Copyright Concerns

Moonfire

Android Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2010
Ohio, US
about.me
I'm new to Android programming, but not programming in general (heck, or even Java) but just got my feet wet. I'd like to make a music player app*, which would support the usual file formats, including mp3. What I'm worried about is if I have to pay to do so. I looked on the site about it, but the fees for using it seem insane for something like this, especially since it's just me, not exactly an entire company. Should I be worried about this? Is it fine if you're not encoding files, just reading them?

Thank you for your time and responses.

*I know, I'm sure there are fourteen billion out there. It's partially just to learn how to make an entire app, partially because none of the ones I've found so far have everything I'd like.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones