1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Music files on SD card have disappeared!

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by EJ Otter, Jan 12, 2016.

1. EJ Otter

EJ Otter Lurker

Hello! So the Android 6.0 update for the LG G4 on Sprint has just recently started rolling out, and last night my phone was updated. However today, when trying to access .mp3 files stored on my microSD card, the default Music application told me that "This song can not be played" for every song in my library. After restarting my phone, all of the songs in my library disappeared from the Music application, and there seems to be no trace of my music library at all. I've checked the storage on my microSD card through my phone, and it doesn't have a trace of the music files ever being there.

Is it possible that all of my music has been spontaneously deleted from my SD card? Or are the files somehow hidden and I'm not allowed to access them?

Thanks for the help :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Man that is a bummer :( Not sure if the update wiped them out or not. However before doing anykind of update you should always backup everything you can first just for instances like this. if its an external sdcard you could try a program like photorec to bring back the files although it will bring back everything with a encrypted looking name. You will have to find out what is what.

3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

If you have a Windows PC available even if they appear to be gone there's still a chance you may be a to recover them. Put the SD card in a laptop or PC with a card slot or USB card reader and try using Recuva software:

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

From now on, remember: Backups, backups, backups!

argedion likes this.