• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music hiccups when network coverage changes

Leftblank

Lurker
Feb 9, 2010
Just like many of you, I'm running 2.0.1 (build 14) on my Milestone and I'm using it as a music player while in public transport. This works fine, if it wasn't for the horrible hiccups that occur everytime the network coverage either drops out or comes back.

Basically everytime this happens (H/3G/regular coverage makes no difference) my music freezes for 0.5-1s, making it a horrible listening experience, especially when you're in the subway or train. It appears that enabling flight mode does resolve this, but since it's also a phone (and internet device), this just doesn't seem like a solution to me.

So how common is this and are there any fixes out there? Thanks in advance!

Well, I've done some tests and yesterday when my memory card was fragmented I drove to work and back listening to music on my Milestone connected to the audio system in my car (via 3,5 mm jack) and there were a lot of "hicups" and pauses.
I defragmented the memory card after coming home and when I drove to work today, there were no "hicups". I wouldn't call that a placebo effect.

Upvote 0
Well, I've done some tests and yesterday when my memory card was fragmented I drove to work and back listening to music on my Milestone connected to the audio system in my car (via 3,5 mm jack) and there were a lot of "hicups" and pauses.
I defragmented the memory card after coming home and when I drove to work today, there were no "hicups". I wouldn't call that a placebo effect.
Well, I've given it a shot as well, the hiccups could be a little shorter, but that's really all the improvement I see.

Seems like another way to reproduce the lag is to engage and disengage the flight-mode, it's resulting in the same lag for me.

Upvote 0
I did some tests today on a custom rom (Pulsar 1.2). I turned off my APN and played music for an hour (shuffle all). No hiccups, no pauses.
Try disabling your APN and see if that helps.
Thanks for your response once again, but no joy there. This would probably work if it's just the data connection dropping, but it's happening to the regular cell coverage as well, which still causes the hiccups sadly.

Upvote 0
I also have this issues, it's like the milestone had a output buffer for audio too small.
It is strange that only a small amount of users are reporting it (maybe doesn't happen with bluetooth headset?).
We should see what our milestones have in common.

I'm using the stock audio player
I do have home++ as my home screen
I do use many widget::

• Mini Info
  • Stock music
  • Power Control
  • Smooth Calendar
  • Weather Bug
  • Wind Status (show credit of my operator)
  • HandCent
  • Lite settings Profiles

I do have also this other process that are not widget but are in memory:

• Net counter
  • K-9
  • OSMonitor
  • Ring Guard
  • Gmail
  • Battery Graph
  • sipdroid

Lets see if we can understand the cause ;)
Cya

Upvote 0
I also have this issues, it's like the milestone had a output buffer for audio too small.
It is strange that only a small amount of users are reporting it (maybe doesn't happen with bluetooth headset?).
We should see what our milestones have in common.
I'm using the stock 2.01 apps for music/Gmail, my only widget is the default energy toggle thing. The only apps running are Handcent and APNdroid I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones