• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music keeps skipping

2 Phonez

Feb 5, 2013
UK
I've seen this issue on a few different Android devices when I did a search but no real solutions and nothing for the N7 specifically.

My N7 music playback keeps skipping. This happens whether the screen is off or on, whether it's through headphones or the speaker, whatever. I'm just using the stock Google Music app to play standard MP3s, I have no problem playing these same files on my laptop or my iPhone.

If I leave it for about 10 minutes the playback seems to be fine but it's still an irritating issue I shouldn't have to put up with and when I go back to listen to music later on the same thing will happen again.

Any idea what it could be? I don't have any CPU power saving apps installed or anything like that so I have no idea.

Are you streaming the mp3's that you uploaded to Google Music or are the songs playing from the N7 storage? I don't have any issues when choosing 'on device music'.

It's coming from local storage, I don't stream any of my music.

Have you tried another app to play music?

Not yet, I'll do that later and see what happens. Got any recommendations?

Upvote 0
I use Power Amp. The only time I had skipping was before the new update when BT and WiFi were running at the same time. Is this the case for you? Are you using Bluetooth?

Nope.

Well if you rooted give it some power if it isnt maxed out and maybe use a speed kernel if one is available

It's not running slowly though, I don't think it's a case of there not being enough power. And are you really saying I need to overclock just to be able to play music?

Upvote 0
Just to update, it seems like VLC doesn't have the issue, so I'm just using that instead. I think it's because VLC uses its own music database and codecs whereas the rest are just a frontend for the built-in ones. Either way it works and it's a nice simple UI so I'm happy. I do wish the default app would work without skipping though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones