1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Music not identified on external SD card

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by NoMeanGamer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. NoMeanGamer

NoMeanGamer Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Im having issues with music on an external sd card, can anyone advise?
    I mounted a 32Gb sd card in Samsung Galaxy 1. I then copied music into music folder on card.
    This has been done using Kies and several other times using a usb card holder and Win Explorer - all with same results...
    When I turn on phone, the external media scanner runs ok. I go to music and it only shows approx 16 cds of music. The remainder seem to be "dumped" into media folder without structure,or alternatively get dumped into the Lost.dir.
    Its almost like there's a limit on the size of the memory space allocated to the music folder.
    I have used other apps to rescan media. I have also reformatted the cards to ensure no hidden files or attributes.
    Also tried this with another new 4Gb card with same issue.
    I just got a new Ainol 7 Advanced 7 inch Android tablet (which is pretty cool for cost v's performance). Unfortunately, this has the same issues as the Samsung.
    Obviously, this is due to the same "features" of the Android O/S and its memory mgt of external cards.
    Can anyone help as I want to use the large Sd card for music while travelling...
    Thanks...

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello NoMeanGamer, welcome to the forums. :)

I could be mistaken, but I think you may be right about the memory limit in file allocation on that device. I know it's true of some versions of the Android Operating System. The OS wants more storage area for system activity than for media.

Some users solve that issue by rooting their device and manipulating those parameters.

Let's see how others chime in about this; I've moved your question out of the Media sub-forum to the Android Lounge, where a more diverse gathering of Android enthusiasts can offer insights about this.

NoMeanGamer likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Galaxy 1? Or S1? I got 12Gb of music in external SD card. I just plugged it in mass storage mode to my PC and unceremoniously dumped the music into a "music" folder I created.

4. NoMeanGamer

NoMeanGamer Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for you response.
    I have tried connecting as a mass storage device and then dumping music into a new folder I'd created .. with no joy.
    The device simply scans the SD card, deletes the folder I created and dumps everyting into the Lost.dir.
    Interestingly, when connected by usb, I see three separate drives:
    - one for system
    - one refd to as TF (large vol with samename as external SD Card).
    - and one which I cant access (please insert media into drive msg appears)

However, the drive I am trying to add my music to is def the correct one (second one) as you can see the overall drive volume in windows.
    Still trying to work out how to beat this!

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I think you need to format that external SD card. Is it formatted to FAT32?

6. NoMeanGamer

NoMeanGamer Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Yes both cards were reformatted to fat 32. Both cards full available storage volumes are visible (c 4Gb & 32Gb respectively).
    The "Feature " seems to be to do with how Android scans the media files and "limits" the volume of media files that can be stored/seen on the external SDCard before it moves these to the Lost.dir...

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I don't think there is any such limit. As I already said I have 11GB of music (basically a couple of thousand songs) in my SD card and they are all in the music folder. My Lost.dir is empty.

There must be something wrong with the file transfer, or maybe the format of the files. Have you tried just removing the SD card from the phone and using a card reader to dump the files into the card? There seems to be an issue in the PC->phone->SD card transfer path.

8. NoMeanGamer

NoMeanGamer Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for your thoughts on this..
    I have tried both cable and direct (usb dongle) transfers.All tunes play happily on media player and through itunes - so cant see an issue with the media files..

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I meant something going wrong between the PC and the USB storage, like the phone is for some reason directing them to LOST.dir....have you tried transferring the songs to the music folder using a dongle, then slapping the card into your phone?

10. sanjyakashyap

sanjyakashyap Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2012
    Clear the data from the music & media storage app in the applications menu. Then, unmount your SD card & remount it after a couple of seconds. This worked for me! Let me know if this helps :)