• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music on SD card not playing...

TBolt

Mar 11, 2010
Is this normal for Android devices?

When I store MP3s on my SD card, the phone won't play the music ("can't play the format" or something like that).

When I store the exact same MP3s on the internal phone memory, the songs play.

((choking))

PLEASE tell me I'm forgetting to do something...
confused.gif

Thank you!

Is this normal for Android devices?

When I store MP3s on my SD card, the phone won't play the music ("can't play the format" or something like that).

When I store the exact same MP3s on the internal phone memory, the songs play.

((choking))

PLEASE tell me I'm forgetting to do something...
confused.gif

Thank you!
I had some issues today where the music on my SD card was not being recognized initially. Finally in major frustration I just re-booted the phone and suddenly the files were there. Other people have said taking out and re-inserting the SD card might work as well.

The music player is lousy though. Very slow. I'll look to get something different when I have enough confidence to try this again!

Reactions: mrsean
Upvote 0
This weekend I had the same problem. I tried everything everyone suggested, resetting android, taking out the battery, etc. The problem was for me is that even though I had a 32gb memory card, any file after 1gb received that " file format not supported". I put everything on my phone and it worked....got a new memory card and transfer everything back to the new memory card and it works....so for me, it wasnt the phone (samsung galaxy s2), android, Music (app), but the memory card.
When I finally did transfer the music on the card, I had to reset it (take out the battery).

Upvote 0
Did you format the SD card using your computer or the phone?

Also, if you bought the SD card from a retailer like eBay or craigslist, you might want to check the validity of your SD card. I bought one on eBay (from a highly positive feedback seller) and it turned out that the 32Gb card only had <1Gb. Yet the Operating System read that it had the full capacity. If you think this might be the problem, download a program called h2testw. This process takes a while, probably best to run overnight.

Upvote 0
I tried doing this and it did not work. Still gives me the "cannot play this format" message. For some reason the music player is not playing any of the music files my Droid played. Do the two devices support different formats? I am using the native music players.
I'm having the same problem with my sd card after adding it to a new phone. Half of the songs (all of the music that I got from cd rips/transfers to sd card) won't play and it'll say the same thing. The SD card worked fine in two other phones, but it's having this problem with half of my music with my LG Optimus F6 I bought today. I'm going to try and take out the sd card and uninstall the the player and reinstall it and see if that works. I need to check the files from the card on a pc to see what format the files are that won't play. Other than that I'm stumped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones